What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSL Certificate Sensor on a port other than 443

Votes:

This sensor appears to allow using a port other than 443, but when I specify the correct port, it is timing out. Any ideas why?

We have an internal reverse proxy setup in kubernetes for docker and it uses port 30100 for HTTPS traffic. I can browse to the URL just fine from the PRTG probe, but the sensor times out. I don't get it.

Port field is set to: 30100

Virtual Host (SNI Domain) is set to: docker-horizons-saas-remote.docker.this.is.my.domain

prtg ssl ssl-certificate

Created on Oct 15, 2020 7:17:59 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you also configured the proxy in the setting "Proxy Settings for HTTP Sensors" in the settings of the device in PRTG?

Created on Oct 16, 2020 10:08:04 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I'm not sure I understand. This sensor was added to the local site's Probe Device and the certificate is hosted on a different device, where the reverse proxy lives (in Kubernetes/Docker). I'm not sure how the "Proxy Settings for HTTP Sensors" on the Probe device relates. Can you ELI5 this for me?

Created on Oct 19, 2020 4:07:21 PM

Votes:

Hi Peter,

If the Sensor receives issue due to an proxy, you need to tell PRTG to use the proxy. This can be done in the mentioned setting. In this way, the Sensor knows to use the proxy to establish the connection. In addition, we recommend to create a own device for this Sensor. In this device, you can enter the URL of the webserver as IP/DNS setting.

Created on Oct 20, 2020 9:29:13 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, or I'm not explaining correctly how our system is setup. Our company doesn't use a proxy server for traffic in general. The proxy in question is just in front of the server where docker templates are stored. The proxy device itself is what is hosting the SSL certificate, on port 30100. We are trying to detect the expiration date of the SSL certificate on the proxy. We are not trying to go THROUGH a proxy.

Am I making sense, or am I just being obtuse?

Created on Oct 20, 2020 7:35:44 PM

Votes:

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the clarification, I understand the situation more clearly now. I checked the SSL Certificate Sensor in the latest PRTG version and could verify that the configured port is used. Which PRTG version do you use?

Created on Oct 21, 2020 8:57:48 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.