What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does PRTG have its own watchdog timer built in?

Votes:

I had a problem with a local probe restarting due to "watchdog". Does PRTG have its own watchdog timer built in?

Please let me know In what conditions a watchdog trigger occurs.

Thanks in advance.

itwatchdogs local-probe restarting trigger watchdog

Created on Oct 19, 2020 2:10:48 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Yes, PRTG uses watchdogs to detect certain error conditions. You can find more informations here.

If this issue appears frequently, please open a support ticket, so that we can have a closer look.

Kind regards,
Matthias Kupfer - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 19, 2020 1:16:42 PM by  Matthias Kupfer [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It rarely happens. I would like to know a guide to prevent watchdog issue.

Is the watchdog timer a built-in process on PRTG Core and probe service? Can I turn off the watchdog only?

Created on Oct 20, 2020 3:48:57 AM

Votes:

The watchdogs are internals of the PRTG processes and can not be turned off. The logfiles of the PRTG Core Server and the affected Probe would provide us more information about the underlying issue, so I'd like to ask you to open a support ticket.

You can provide us a Support Bundle of the PRTG Core Server via the "Contact Support" ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface.

The logs of the Probe can be sent via the "PRTG Administration Tool", executed on the affected Probe. Then open the tab "Logs and Info" and click "Send Logs to Paessler".

Kind regards,
Matthias Kupfer - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 20, 2020 6:49:59 AM by  Matthias Kupfer [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.