What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I set up snmp v3 for monitoring (client) under Windows Server 2016 & 19?

Votes:

Hello,

I have put a PRTG server "PRTGSV1" into operation and set it up with SNMP v3.

Then I installed the snmp service on one of the servers to be monitored "WinSV2" and configuated in the service under the heading: "Traps" the "Community name" and "Trap destinations".

Under the register: Security I have specified the "Accepted community names (Read Only)" and under "Accept SNMP packets from this Hosts" the PRTG server.

Now the monitoring works via SNMP v2, but for v3 I have to specify "authentication with user and password", "encryption type with key" and possibly "context" and "port". Unfortunately I fail at this point because I have not found out how to store this in the "SNMP Service"?

If someone here can help me, I am very grateful.

snmp snmpv3 windows

Created on Oct 21, 2020 8:38:37 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your post.

Windows only supports SNMP v2, you can not set up SNMP v3 on it. Since you have mentioned traps in your post, I would like to point out that the SNMP Trap Receiver sensor in PRTG does not support SNMP v3 traps (just in case you were planning to use SNMP v3 for traps).

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 22, 2020 5:32:36 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.