What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to send another alert for sensor when another channel fails

Votes:

I have a sensor with many channels.

I have set up a Notification Template as a "HTTP Action" of type POST. Then I configured a Notification Trigger of type "State Trigger" for an URL to be invoked when the sensor goes into Down mode. It will be the template defined already.

What I have noticed is: when a channel fails, status of the sensor changes to Down, alert is being sent, URL is being invoked. All fine, as expected.

What I would need though is for this alert to be sent again when another channel fails. When the 2nd channel fails, of course the sensor status will not change, will stay Down.

Would it be possible to configure the alerting logic in such a way that whenever something changes(additional channel going down) an additional alert is being sent?

Maybe even with the channelID? But regardless of the channelId, I want another alert to be sent each time another channel fails.

I have seen the option for State Trigger "When sensor state is Down for at least X seconds, perform A-action and repeat every Y minutes". But this will create too many calls from PRTG to my app. I would like the subsequent calls to be done based on the second channel actually going down, not repeatedly by default.

alert api notification

Created on Oct 23, 2020 9:35:14 AM

Last change on Oct 26, 2020 11:39:22 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for your KB post.

You can enable the second or another channel to trigger notification too. Please check the 'Enable alerting base on limits' option under Limits in channel settings, and define the Upper or Lower limit. For more information, please have a look at this link.

https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/limits

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Oct 26, 2020 11:44:12 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi, thanks for the reply. However my channels are not numerical. Their value is based on a lookup file. 2 possible values, strings, Ok and Error. The field you are mentioning allows only numerical values. Any advice in this case?

Created on Oct 26, 2020 12:39:10 PM

Votes:

Hello there,

May I know what sensor is that? Thanks.

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen

Created on Oct 27, 2020 12:37:30 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Last change on Oct 27, 2020 12:37:42 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

It's "REST Custom BETA", tags restcustomsensor, restsensor.

Created on Oct 27, 2020 1:51:01 PM

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for the feedback.

Under the channel settings, if you select the option 'Enable alerting based on lookups', the alert should works.

Have you already checked in the lookup file, if the result of the 'Error' string is correctly associated to the Error state?

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen

Created on Oct 28, 2020 12:27:41 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

I think we have lost focus of the original question. I do know how to set up alerting for this type of channel. It is activated already, tested, it works. Done already: if a channel is failing(Error value) this means the sensor is in Down status. An alert(URL POST method) is sent. All perfect.

The question/problem/PRTG limitation is how do I make the sensor send another alert when a 2nd(3rd, 4th, etc) channel goes into failed status (all channels based on lookup file, Error value means failed status). Because right now a second alert will not be sent since the sensor will not change its status, remains in Down already because of the 1st failed channel.

Created on Oct 28, 2020 12:38:58 PM

Last change on Oct 30, 2020 3:11:52 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for the clarification.

I am afraid there is no workaround to make the notification triggered for the other channels.

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen

Created on Oct 30, 2020 3:11:34 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.