What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTGProbeService keeps starting then stopping

Votes:

Hello,

PRTGProbeService is starting and stopping constantly. While is up, I'm able to login before it stops and logs me out, looking at the services PRTGProbeService is constantly starting, staying on for a minute then going onto stopping mode and actually stopping. Then automatically starting up again creating the cycle.

In windows logs there's nothing for PRTG's section. When I, however, go to applications there are records of the service starting and stopping but no clues whatsoever to what is causing it to stop.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks.

prtg-service prtgprobeservice stopping

Created on Nov 5, 2020 9:45:27 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Fixed it by running a manual update to the newest version.

PRTG logs did not give a reason for it stopping thought, I found the loop in it but it went to "stopping" for no reason. So I wasn't able to find the reason why.

At any rate, if you run into the same issue backup the setup (copy PRTG Configuration.dat) and run the .exe file of the latest version.

Created on Nov 6, 2020 8:42:29 AM

Votes:

Hello there,

It's good to hear that the issue has been resolved after update to the latest version. It could be possible that something is not installed correctly. The best way to test this is always install the latest version of PRTG and update the windows patches to the latest, so the security enhancement and the bugs are fixed and your PRTG runs with stability.

Regards,
Himanshu

Created on Nov 6, 2020 9:26:00 AM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.