What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No notification for BIG IP power supply status

Votes:

Hello!

I cannot setup PRTG to send me an email alert if one of my power supplies in BIG IP goes down. Trigger is default (if down for 60 seconds, send email to group), I can see it in the PRTG log, but there is no email notification sent.

Log is as follows:

27.1.2021. 9:23:26 bigip	SNMP Custom	sysChassisPowerSupplyStatus.1	Notify	 Content changed: 1
27.1.2021. 9:22:26 bigip	SNMP Custom	sysChassisPowerSupplyStatus.1	Notify	 Content changed: 0
27.1.2021. 9:17:37 bigip	SNMP Custom	sysChassisPowerSupplyStatus.2	Notify	 Content changed: 1
27.1.2021. 9:15:07 bigip	SNMP Custom	sysChassisPowerSupplyStatus.2	Notify	 Content changed: 0

There is no state trigger, sending email that is present when antyhing else happens and we get an email notification.

There is also Chassis: Power sensor that combines PS1 and PS2 where I even added a custom trigger (when sensor is down partial after 60 seconds send email), but that also doesn't do anything.

Status is normally plotted as going from 1 to 0, but downtime isn't reported.

If there is need for any more info do tell and I can provide it.

Cheers, Nikola

big-ip power prtg snmp

Created on Jan 27, 2021 9:12:40 AM

Last change on Jan 27, 2021 9:19:38 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The limits can be set/modified in the channel settings (by clicking on the channel name, value or the "gear"). Simply make sure to enable the option Enable alerting based on limits to be able to configure the error limit.

Here is how you can access the settings: Channel Settings

Then, you can configure the limits by using the option mentioned above: Limits

Regards.

Created on Feb 1, 2021 12:26:22 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 1, 2021 12:27:37 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello Nikola,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the notifications of the sensor, we can effectively see that PRTG logs that the value has changed. However, have you configured a Change trigger for it? Can you please provide us a screenshot of the sensor Notification triggers tab.

There is also Chassis: Power sensor that combines PS1 and PS2 where I even added a custom trigger (when sensor is down partial after 60 seconds send email), but that also doesn't do anything.

Have you configured limits in the channels to make the sensor go in Error state. What do you mean by "Status is normally plotted as going from 1 to 0".

Regards.

Created on Feb 1, 2021 7:51:05 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Notification triggers: https://ibb.co/p22PBHk

Plotting: https://ibb.co/rwcZwrW

In short, sensor detects that one PSU is down, but doesn't pronounce it as downtime. It's the same problem for the single PSU sensors and the one that shows them together. Since it isn't downtime, we don't get an email notification.

Cheers, Nikola

Created on Feb 1, 2021 8:38:50 AM

Votes:

Thank you Nicolas for the screenshot.

Have you configured the limits in the PSU channel(s), under Lower Error Limit ? If not, please do so to trigger the error state when the value is lower than the value you defined. You should then get a notification from the sensor.

Let me know if it's unclear.

Regards.

Created on Feb 1, 2021 9:08:19 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ha, thing is there is no "Lower error limit", or am I looking at a wrong settings page? :)

https://ibb.co/4gZT4z4

Cheers, Nikola

Created on Feb 1, 2021 12:11:27 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The limits can be set/modified in the channel settings (by clicking on the channel name, value or the "gear"). Simply make sure to enable the option Enable alerting based on limits to be able to configure the error limit.

Here is how you can access the settings: Channel Settings

Then, you can configure the limits by using the option mentioned above: Limits

Regards.

Created on Feb 1, 2021 12:26:22 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 1, 2021 12:27:37 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That did it.

https://ibb.co/WGTdXk3

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, Nikola

Created on Feb 1, 2021 1:31:30 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.