What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Monitor Hardware Recommendation for Home

Votes:

I installed the trial monitor on my Desktop PC and really like the functionality, mostly for monitoring my NAS and WAN up time. 100 sensors would be more than enough to keep track of my switches etc.

I really don't want to run this on my desktop gaming PC 24/7. I would like to let this PC sleep when not in use. Would PRTG run acceptably on a current Atom processor? I considered a NUC, but would prefer using a 1U energy efficient PC in my basement rack, or possibly a VM server and let it run in a VM.

Appreciate any recommendations, specifically for home users.

Thanks, Jerold

hardware-requirements homelab virtual-servers

Created on Feb 12, 2021 5:52:53 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Jerold,

I would recommend to use a VM for your Core Server. Since you expect to use only our freeware version, two to four CPU Cores with 4 GB of RAM would be enough.

As an alternative you may take a look at our hosted PRTG. We also have a blog post about this setup.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Feb 15, 2021 5:41:16 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.