What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Displaying which Firewall is currently Active in HA Solution

Votes:

Hi,

We have a pair of Sonicwall nSA4650's running in Active/Standby and I have both monitored via their management addresses which works fine. I can also pull SNMP information from the Gateway address if needed. What I am thinking is if I obtain the Serial number of the firewall via SNMP from the Gateway address that will tell me which one is currently active (as it will be running the query against the currently active firewall) but I'm not sure how I can process that information so I can show on a map which firewall is currently the Active unit. I could just display the serial number on the map but then all the staff would need to know which serial number belonged to which unit. I don't know if I can script something along the lines of 'If serial = 12345 then display "Site 1" or if serial = 67890 then display "site 2" based on what get's pulled via SNMP.

Open to suggestions :)

It's not a massive issue it's just a nice to have.

high-availability maps snmp sonicwall

Created on Apr 1, 2021 8:22:27 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

The best option here would be to use a custom lookup file: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/define_lookups

With this option, you can translate results in more user-friendly results.

Created on Apr 1, 2021 12:49:31 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.