What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Monitor the RSL, TX and RS power of a trunk fiber interface

Votes:

Hi,

I am having an issue. I want to be monitoring the RSL, TX and RS power level of a trunk interface connected to a Huawei layer 3 switch on my network. I have tried different ways of doing that but none is yielding any result.

i can monitor the live traffic (ie Total traffic, traffic in and traffic out) on that interface. But i also want to be monitoring the RSL, TX and RS power also.

Do anyone have answer to these?

huawei monitor optical-power

Created on Aug 16, 2021 10:16:18 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Nitin,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Are you referring to the Received Signal level?

If so, these counters are not part of the default traffic sensors of PRTG, neither I'm aware if these are available on the interface of the switch or the target device.

My first guess here is that you'll need to request if these metrics are available on the device behind the Huawei router and if it's capable of SNMP for instance. You can then import the MIB file by following this guide and monitor the target device directly by creating a device in PRTG with the respective address.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 17, 2021 10:48:28 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Felix,

Thanks for your response, but my question is related Optical power received on my Huawei L3/L2 Switch port.

Created on Aug 18, 2021 3:27:41 AM

Votes:

Hello Nitin,

Thanks for elaborating. This is also not part of the IFX-Table which the SNMP Traffic Sensors are using.

Therefore, the second part of my reply still replies to request the respective MIB file to import it to PRTG.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 18, 2021 6:30:05 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.