What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traffic via IPSEC tunnel from distant Fortigate

Votes:

I'm monitoring the interface traffic of the local Fortigate without any problem. SNMP parameter on the satellit site are the same, the sites are connected via IPSEC VPN. I can ping the remote fortigate, but no more sensors are autodetected and I'm also not able to manually configure a SNMP Traffice Sensor for the WAN Interface. Is this generally not possible or am I doing something wrong? Thanks, William

fortigate ipsec prtg snmp traffic vpn

Created on Oct 6, 2021 8:54:41 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

William,

Most likely you will need to tell the Fortigate to allow SNMP queries that are destined for the WAN interface. This is blocked by default as it would allow anyone with the IP and community to poll the device for just about anything. Check into that, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 7, 2021 7:11:12 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Oh dear, I appoligize for that question. Of course I just had to enable SNMP on the LAN interface and it worked within seconds. My excuse is that it was a dense day and it was late and the coffee was not nearly strong enough ... Thank you for pointing me on the obvious, it works like a charm now.

Created on Oct 7, 2021 7:24:13 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.