What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ESX Hostserver Hardware Status 4 elements return a unknown state

Votes:

Hello, I've set up the VMware Hostserver Hardware-Status (SOAP) sensor on a HPE DL380 Gen10 server with VMware vSphere 7.0.3.

The sensor reports a unknown state for 4 CPU Devices. "Unknown. 4 elements return a unknown state: Proc 0.3.1.35; Proc 0.3.1.18; Proc 0.3.1.2; Proc 0.3.2.19"

The vSphere Host sensors are reporting the status as green. I won't set the option to ignore unknown status, as it is only unknown by PRTG.

Regards Ben

esxi hardwarestatus soap unknownstate vmware

Created on Mar 7, 2022 8:47:27 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

These errors come directly from the API of VMware and are usually related to drivers issues with the version of the hypervisor. Here is an article from VMware which might corresponds to the current case: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57171. I also invite you to verify if the manufacturer of your server also published an article about the issue, in which they might provide further information about it.

You can find these errors in the response of the API provided to the probe, by enabling the sensor debugs log with the option Store result, under its Settings tab. The log files will then be generated under "<path>\Logs\sensors" where <path> is the path configured in PRTG Administration Tool on the probe server.

If you have questions, do not hesitate.

Regards.

Created on Mar 7, 2022 9:18:07 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 7, 2022 9:20:45 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Florian, thanks for the fast answer. I've checked the sensors about the category of the VMware kb article, but non of the sensors with an unknown state in my case belongs to one of it. VMware shows the sensors with a green state, but for PRTG they're unknown.

Created on Mar 7, 2022 2:48:56 PM

Votes:

The article from VMware might not exactly apply here however I'm afraid that the issue comes from its API, from which the sensor simply get and return data. We have received multiple requests about it in Technical Support and most of the time, the interface is not displaying any issue however the API is well affected.

Please, generate the sensor debug logs as indicated above and have a look at the latest response received from the API in the log file. You will see the unknown state there. I invite you to contact the support of VMware afterwards to have proper support to investigate on the issue.

Of course, if you need further assistance from us, do not hesitate.

Created on Mar 8, 2022 7:27:38 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.