What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Moving sensor list

Votes:

Hello should be possible to move all sensors list from old server to new one ? I dont want to move all configuration / db, i want to start with a new server and put on that only the old sensors list.

wbr Tiziano

configuration sensors server

Created on Sep 5, 2022 6:59:39 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Good morning Tiziano,

there is a comprehensive step-by-step guide in https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/migrate-prtg-installation which is only valid in a single standalone server installation. I also thought it might be possible to integrate a new server in the existing old installation and then move all items using the GUI, but nope.

If you use remote probes, you might want to move all devices and sensors from the probes to temporary groups on your core server using the GUI, uninstall the probes and reinstall from the new server when the migration is done. Afterwards you could just move the devices and sensors back to the new probes.

If you are on a cluster, the steps will be much different as you could integrate your new server in the cluster and then switch role to master. But this would require a little more planning too.

Hope that helped a bit.

Best

Matin

Created on Sep 7, 2022 8:20:38 AM

Votes:

Hello Tiziano,

Thank you very much for your question. Also thank you lematin for your reply.

I also agree to follow parts of the migration guide. Please note that every object, everything that you see in your device tree, is stored in PRTG's configuration file among other settings (e.g. Notification Templates, User Accounts, Web Server Settings, ...). If you want to migrate as little information as possible but the sensors and device tree structure is important to you, I would only copy the PRTG configuration file leaving the historic sensor data untouched.

Take the PRTG installer of the currently used version from your (source) PRTG Core Server: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive\PRTG Installer (Currently Installed Version).exe

Install the very same version on the new Core Server, stop the services on both servers and copy the PRTG Configuration.dat from the source to new Core Server. The file can be found under: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor

This will copy the entire device tree and sensors among some other data, that might need to be removed afterwards to the new machine. Please also keep in mind that once you start monitoring from your new PRTG Core Server the monitoring requests to your targeted machines might come from another address which might need adjustments.

Best regards,
Priyanka Bhatt

Created on Sep 8, 2022 9:29:50 AM by  Priyanka Bhatt[Paessler Support] (0) 1

Last change on Sep 8, 2022 9:30:43 AM by  Priyanka Bhatt[Paessler Support] (0) 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.