What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Server CPU load with combination WMI and SNMPv3

Votes:

Hello all. Somewhat new to PRTG and rolling out sensors to monitor switches, firewalls, and Windows servers throughout our environment. About 100 Windows servers, and probably about that many network devices.

Anyway, I've started with WMI sensors for Windows servers and I've been using SNMPv3 for network devices. I am using a single Windows Server VM with 4 vCPU and 6Gb RAM. It's an older VM still running Windows Server 2012 R2. We have 2019 licensing and I'll likely upgrade that soon.

I have about 1400 sensors (60 devices) total out there now and am seeing the "PRTG Probe Service" (32 bit) fluctuate between 40 and 68% CPU utilization. I have a long way to go before rollout is complete and it appears my PRTG infrastructure isn't sized appropriately.

Question is.... (1) should I just give up on SNMPv3 and go to 2c? Will this save huge CPU on the PRTG server or does it not make a difference? (2) How many remote probes am I going to have to plan on deploying to get through this deploying approximately? Assuming moving to SNMP 2c won't allow me to stick with a stand alone PRTG server/probe.

load performance snmp wmi

Created on Nov 29, 2022 12:18:25 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Adam

Thank you for contacting PRTG support

There are different aspects that you need to consider regarding the system requirements for PRTG. If you Meet these requirements you will avoid issues while you monitor your network. Please check this article Paessler Website

Regards

Created on Dec 2, 2022 10:29:56 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.