What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Interval for Sensors

Votes:

Heya. I would like to monitor some backup jobs with the file sensor. All good so far.

Now what's breaking me is that some backups run 4 times a week.. and guess what - The week has 7 days! I would like to define custom times when the sensor actually checks if the job is done or not. And no - the schedule is not an option - it pauses the sensor and I can't see possible errors. the sensor NEEDS to be running all the time but only check at certain times.

Any ideas experience or solutions to this?

Kind regards

custom interval prtg sensor

Created on Dec 30, 2022 12:36:55 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Benji,

The other way around like you want to do this can indeed not be achieved via schedules. The closest you can probably get is to set up custom sensor intervals, as described here.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Technical Support Team

Created on Jan 4, 2023 5:26:45 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Benjim

This works by configuring custom schedules. Here you can define the exact days and minutes when the sensors should be active.

You can then add the schedule to the device or group in question via the settings page > Schedules, Dependencies, and Maintenance Window

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 2, 2023 2:23:19 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 3, 2023 12:59:33 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Heya Felix

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately this solution does not fit my needs.

The Problem with the Schedule is following: If a Backup fails during the weekend I want to see it on Monday. But I won't. Because the Sensor is paused at that time (and won't show errors from the past). I do NOT want to rely on mail notification. I need to configure a manual sensor check interval - not a manual sensor uptime interval. Is there any way I can do it with PRTG?

Kind regards

Created on Jan 3, 2023 8:55:57 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Benji,

The other way around like you want to do this can indeed not be achieved via schedules. The closest you can probably get is to set up custom sensor intervals, as described here.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 4, 2023 5:26:45 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That is exactly what I am looking for! Can't believe I didn't see those instructions. Is there any way to increase the limit of 50 entries?

Thank you!

Created on Jan 5, 2023 8:12:39 AM

Votes:

Hi Benji,

Great to hear that this works out!

50 entries is the current max I'm afraid and there is no way to tweak this, pardon.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 6, 2023 7:57:38 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.