What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG cannot monitor Checkpoint Firewalls with SNMPv3

Votes:

Hello PRTG

Since the new release of Checkpoint GAIA, the Authentication Method and Encryption Type changed to higher encryption.

What does that mean:

• For the Authentication Method GAIA provide only 2 options: SHA256 or SHA512
  • For the Encryption Type 3 options: DES, AES or AES256

The problem with PRTG is that PRTG uses still an old implementation of NET-SNMP and this supports AES for SNMP V3 (since version 13.2.3(April 2013)), but AES256 or higher is still not supported in the current release.

The main blocking point ist that PRTG only allows SHA in the Authentication Method, but not SHA256 or SHA512.

Therefore is the monitoring of Checkpoint Firewalls via SNMPv3 impossible in PRTG until the Authentication Method is not adapted!

Is there a known workarround or a planned upgrade of the SNMP backend in PRTG in the next releases?

Kind Regards

authentication-method checkpoint-gaia encryption-type snmpv3

Created on Feb 10, 2023 8:02:26 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Patrick,

The workaround would be to do this via a script outside of PRTG for the moment. Something similar to this. But we are already working on the integration of additional authentication methods.

Please bear with me that we cannot share any ETA for this yet.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Technical Support Team

Created on Feb 13, 2023 6:00:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, Is there an ETA for this yet? PRTG is supposed to be a market-leading product, so it's a bit of a joke that it's taking so long to support authentication methods that have been around for ages. Please provide an ETA.

Created on May 30, 2023 10:17:53 AM

Votes:

Hello Matt,

PRTG now supports SNMPv3 encryption methods in the latest version

Find details here

Created on Jun 1, 2023 1:59:41 PM by  Mitzi Rodriguez [Paessler support]

Last change on Jun 1, 2023 1:59:51 PM by  Mitzi Rodriguez [Paessler support]

Votes:

Amazing, thanks. I must've just been a version behind as mine updates pretty regularly. I've forced an update now and sure enough all of the SHA and AES options are there now :-) Thanks!

Created on Jun 1, 2023 2:25:44 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.