What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Issues with SQL Server sensor

Votes:

Hey team. I am trying to set up a sensor for a SQL Server database. I have my PRTG server on a domain, and the server I am trying to monitor is on another domian.

I am setting up the sensor to use Windows authentication, and the message I am getting is Can not log in using the specified credentials!

If I use SQL Server authentication, I don't have an issue. Ant trick I should use on setting up the sensors?

I have set a sensor on the same domain, and it worked fine.

Thanks!

database sqlserver sqlv2

Created on Apr 3, 2023 5:54:42 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you entered the domain also in the Windows credentials?

Created on Apr 7, 2023 8:42:24 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am login in with the AD user for the main domain.

And the Credentials for Windows Systems, are set to the AD user on the domain we are monitoring the DB sensors. Also, the user, has all the accesses needed for the databases, as he is an admin.

Created on Apr 10, 2023 6:14:57 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the information. I would recommend to check the SQL logs for failed logins. In this case, we can maybe see the exact connection string of the user and whether something is wrong there.

Created on Apr 17, 2023 6:44:07 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.