What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG - SNMP error # -2003

Votes:

I´m a rookie with PRTG, after install and scan my network I face so many alerts showing something like:

" (003)ixp0 Down No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003 "

Does anyone idea how to fix or what it means?

alert error snmp

Created on Oct 6, 2010 1:39:00 AM

11 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

first of all please check if the SNMP Settings (Version, Community String, port, eventual authentication, etc.) are correct. Then please also check if PRTG (or the PC on which PRTG is installed) is allowed to send SNMP Requests to the device in case.

Please check this article as well: My SNMP sensors don’t work. What can I do?

You can also use our SNMP Tester to test the SNMP-Functionality on the target device(s).

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 6, 2010 12:35:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 3, 2013 4:20:24 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I wanted to let everyone know what I discovered about this error. Also the "No Such Name" snmp error.

On my Linux box, in my snmpd.conf file there was a setting like this:

view systemview included .1.3.6.1.2.1

This limits the systemview to OID's that fall under this section only. Apparently the OID's that PRTG wants to look at are not under this. I change it to:

view systemview included .1

and re-started snmpd. Now it works.

Created on Feb 11, 2011 11:58:53 PM

Votes:

hello i have similar problem when i try add custom sensor (oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1) i have error: "No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)"

when i test that oid in snmp tester i get right anserw in that case "1"

please help :)

Created on Mar 9, 2011 11:55:46 AM

Votes:

Dear Piotr,

please double-check the settings made in the Tester and then in PRTG. If it works from the Tester and the Tester was used on the same machine as the PRTG Probe runs on, then the difference might be the user accounts under which both applications (respectively the PRTG Probe Service) run under.

best Regards.

Created on Mar 9, 2011 3:49:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have faced this case often, is it failing to configure the PRTG or SNMP connection?

Created on Jun 6, 2019 7:54:24 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Basically the error message means that PRTG is unable to open a SNMP connection. Either the device is not answering to SNMP requests, the credentials/community is not correct or there is a firewall in between that blocks the connection.

Best regards.

Created on Jun 7, 2019 12:03:26 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I am getting the same output as Piotr, I assume it has to do with credentials/community because I have turned off the firewall to make sure that isn't the problem. The community string is correct but I'm not sure where to check on these so called credentials. I noticed the first comment mentioned something called eventual authentication, which i'm not entirely sure how to validate.

A quick background on what i am trying to achieve:

I have set up a Room Alert device for my server room which monitors the temperature, I have extracted the MIB file and have created a specific .oidlib using the MIB Importer but when i try creating a SNMP library sensor using the .oidlib file it fails and throws me the 2003 error. I have checked every all the basic troubleshooting steps provided in the following knowledge article:

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/46863-my-snmp-sensors-dont-work-what-can-i-do

Any help is appreciated!

Created on Oct 16, 2019 3:28:29 PM

Votes:

Since the update to 20.3.61.1649+ we experience this problem on one device in our monitoring environment. And it's not continuesly. It goes from green to red with the corresponding notification and after a while goes back to green again. When looking directly in the device there seems no problem to occur. I will update now to version 20.3.62.1397 now to see if the problem disappears again.

Created on Sep 22, 2020 12:19:36 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

In case the problem is still there after the update please create a dedicated Support Ticket. You can do this via the "Contact Support" button down in the right corner of your webclient or by sending a mail to [email protected].

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Sep 23, 2020 11:18:02 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You have to deactivate Control Panel-> System -> Security -> IP-Access deactivate ssh telnet https

Created on Jan 7, 2021 9:30:10 AM

Votes:

There is no generic solution for it. The error message shown "No response [...] (SNMP error # -2003)" indicates a timeout and/or that PRTG is not able to receive the requested information via SNMP.

You need to verify that SNMP is properly configured on the monitored device and also configure the incoming SNMP communication from PRTG's perspective properly.
To do so, please open the "Settings" tab of the device that has the affected sensor and configure the required SNMP settings under Credentials for SNMP Devices.

Created on Jan 8, 2021 11:06:22 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.