What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Aggregated reports from Netflow top list with PRTG

Votes:

Does anyone know how (Or if it's possible) to generate aggregated top list reports from netflow sensors?

e.g. I'd like to get weekly, monthly and annual reports of the top talkers.

So far I think I can look at current, and results from the past, but only over time windows of about 10 minutes.

Many Thanks for your help.

netflow prtg report top-list

Created on Mar 6, 2010 3:01:27 PM

Last change on Mar 9, 2010 8:46:37 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

34 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Reports on Toplists are not possible at the moment, sorry.

The data is processed in real time on the probe. Once the data is processed we drop it and only store the Toplist information. The time Toplists are kept can be modified.

Since Toplists usually use periods of 5 to 60 minutes it is not possible to integrate the data into reports. It is not possible to combine multiple Toplists to day or week information since they only contain the Top data and the rest is dropped.

If you need reports for specific IPs or connections, you can use a custom sensor and define a channel for each. Then you get volume information for days/weeks/months.

Created on Mar 7, 2010 8:22:58 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 8, 2010 4:15:32 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Is there any prevision when will this feature be available? We have a lot of customers that are more and more requiring informtion/reports based on the netflow information.

Regards,

Created on May 11, 2012 7:52:46 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid we have no date of availability at the moment, but it is on our wishlist.

Regards

Created on May 11, 2012 9:21:16 AM by  Tobias Lange [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I admin I am not a seasoned IT guru, and admit I didn't fully investigate PRTG's reporting mechanism.

Installed PRTG not long ago for a client. This is the first thing I tried to do with PRTG because they want to know who's sucking up all the bandwidth, say, over the past week.

I'm dreading telling them this can't be done, after I told them it could. To be honest it never dawned on me that an enterprise network monitoring solution seemingly so robust could be missing the ability to produce an aggregate report regarding network usage over time.

I use Gooddata to generate reports for my ticketing system (zendesk) because it sucks at doing reports. Zendesk spits out a csv everyday at 9pm for Gooddata to to analyze and provide reports on.

Is this something PRTG could consider?

Created on Sep 12, 2012 8:55:50 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry, in the moment the Toplist-Data is not accessible from the PRTG API, to get such a CSV-File.

Created on Sep 17, 2012 10:02:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have clients who want to have this information. I appreciate that this was put on a "wishlist" in May of 2012. Are there any updates on the development of this feature?

Created on Feb 7, 2013 4:45:56 PM

Votes:

It's still on the wishlist sorry.

Created on Feb 8, 2013 9:55:55 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

any news on this?

I see we can print a PDF of the 15 minute interval for top talkers or connections from the console, and it goes back for plenty of time so potentially surely we could have some kind of PDF report on that collated information surely ?

but there doesnt seem to be a report nor a way of viewing it in chunks larger than 15 minutes

I really need to get at that ip address information over a 24 hour period at least and have it in some report form is this really not possible to achieve still

thanks Mark

Created on Nov 21, 2013 12:18:11 AM

Votes:

Still on the wish list, I'm afraid. It is technically possible though to create a Toplist with a 24 hour period. Please be aware though, that this can potentially consume a lot of memory in the Probe, and also, there is no synchronization, that the Toplist starts 0:00 o'clock.

Created on Nov 21, 2013 9:23:23 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry to make this thread sound like a broken record but is there any evolution here?

Seems like a lot of people could use this feature (me included) so it would be nice to hear that a solution is in the making. Since it's merely a matter of displaying data that PRTG has already collected into a single report, I can't image this to be insurmountable.

Thanks & regards!

Frederik

Created on Jan 15, 2014 3:05:13 PM

Votes:

This is still on the wishlist, sorry. Please bear in mind that the Toplists only show a very little part of connections/traffic, the Top 100. The rest is thrown away. So building reports on those little bits of Top100-data entries is not really a full qualified report as one might think.

Created on Jan 15, 2014 3:15:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 24, 2014 1:08:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

You mention above in one of your posts that the toplists start at 00:00. I have setup a new capture of these for a 24hr period, but the data in each log is starting at 11AM and finishing back at 10.59AM the following day. I have looked for a setting as to where this is set but can not find anything. Can you point me in the right direction as to change this to get accurate data for each day?

Thanks.

Created on Mar 10, 2014 9:54:25 PM

Votes:

Hi PRTG team, great tool!!!

Can you please add this feature??

Please consider it.

thank you.

Created on Apr 24, 2014 12:18:45 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm just evaluating PRTG for mutliple customers.. the lack of a Netflow's Toplist historic & aggregated data is actually making me thinking that I should test an another product..

This is really sad as your product seems very good!

Even an average information would be appreciated, even like aggregating only the first 10 toptalkers per 15 minutes periodes and exporting that data per day, week, and months..

I'm no developper but this should be made.. isn't it.

I join the last post with a "please consider it".. Thank you

Conrad

Created on Aug 14, 2014 8:05:59 AM

Votes:

I'm also search for such feature. Any news ?

Created on Aug 7, 2015 10:45:15 AM

Votes:

I had the same Problem once. Luckily, the customer had only 1 switch where all the computers were connected to. So I just monitored the Switch (all the ports) and at the end of the week, I had statistics which Computer made the most traffic.

Could be a workaround.

Created on Aug 7, 2015 12:17:42 PM

Votes:

By the was, if the OP approves it. If you want to have such reports. There a lot of other tools, even freewarem which should manage your needs.

https://www.switch.ch/network/projects/completed/TF-NGN/floma/software.html

Created on Aug 7, 2015 12:22:53 PM

Votes:

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look at.

Created on Aug 10, 2015 10:47:14 AM

Votes:

Hello, Any update on this topic? Generating reports on netflow toplists would be very appreciated. Cheers

Created on Dec 1, 2015 11:42:22 AM

Votes:

I am really sorry, I can't say more, than we do have this still on the list with no fixed release data though.

Created on Dec 1, 2015 1:58:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How is it that this feature is not yet available? You house the data in your database, at least allow us to export and analyze it separately.

This needs to be moved off of the wishlist, and strait into development.

Created on Dec 1, 2015 4:39:50 PM

Votes:

Please bear in mind, that we do only have the "Toplist"-Data in our Database. For each Toplist period PRTG only keeps the top 100 entries, not all of them. Hence the name "Toplists", it's just the top part of the connections on intention. Reports on such small parts of the full connections, would not be properly valid. So this feature actually needs much more work, than just a report template. Which is why, it sadly, is not done so far. Please bear with us.

Created on Dec 2, 2015 9:43:13 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've just installed PRTG and have the same request as those above. Can I assume that it's still not possible to get top talker stats for a whole day, week, etc?

If you've since added this, how do I do it?

If not, what are my options? I've started logging the stream data, and I've had a play with importing into Access so I can analyse it. Is that the only way to do it? Is there any way to export the 15 minute top talker stats so I can add them up?

Created on Jul 14, 2016 4:03:23 AM

Votes:

We still have this on our wish list. But if you have Flow or Sniffer Sensors filtering for certain IPs/Hosts, the normal sensor results can be reported and would also show bandwidth-amounts for certain IPs/hosts. The filtering does only affect data that was recorded after the filter was put in place.

I did just add your "vote" to the corresponding request to our "wishlist". Please have a look at the following blog post by our CEO, explaining "How We Rate Your Feature Requests": https://www.paessler.com/blog/2012/07/03/other/how-we-rate-your-feature-requests-company-culture-2

We are planning to improve our Toplists which would include better report options. However please don't expect this improvement too soon, there are many items on our "wishlist".

For specific on demand debugging, you could enable and check the "Stream Log" of the Sensor (set it to save the stream log for all traffic). Please be aware though, the Log-Stream-Files are limited to 65 MB in size, then they overwrite themselves in a cycled manner. This can't be changed, and is set to prevent huge disk space usages.

However, the Stream Logging will not show traffic that already occurred (before it's enabled). For this you could only try to export the currently viewed Toplist with the "XML-Button" (at the bottom of the table of the Toplist) into an XML-File.

Created on Jul 14, 2016 3:05:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Reviving this thread back.

How far back in time should we be able to go to view Top Talkers?

Has any progress been made with the issues that have been discussed?

Thank you!

Created on Nov 4, 2016 7:36:40 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I am afraid that we still don't have any news regarding reporting on Toplists, sorry.

How far back in time you can view Top Talkers depends on several parameters, e.g. "Top Count" and "Memory Limit" (both can be changed under Toplist Settings), as well as "Toplist Records" (it can be set under "Setup -> System Administration -> Core & Probes" -> "Historic Data Purging"). Please note that old Toplist data will be deleted automatically as soon as a limit of 2 GB is reached.

For more information on Toplist settings, please have a look at this page: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/toplists

Best regards

Created on Nov 7, 2016 2:32:16 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello experts,

Is this possible yet?, I've gone through the whole story about this request, it's definitely something that is necessary. Is it still on the whish list? any ETA on moving this to development?

Thanks,

Created on Oct 18, 2017 4:25:57 PM

Votes:

Hello msosa,

We've put some effort into this, but were not happy with the performance of the feature, that's why we decided to not release it. Since priorities changed over time, currently it is not further developed, at least not for now, that's the best I can tell right now.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Oct 19, 2017 1:19:20 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any ETA on this feature?

Created on May 9, 2018 10:51:16 PM

Votes:

Hello Josh,

Nothing new here I'm afraid, the topic is currently not actively pursued.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 11, 2018 9:21:57 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has there been any progress on this feature? Attempting to discover long term patterns in 15 increments is not going to get it done.

Thanks.

Created on Feb 18, 2019 7:55:30 PM

Votes:

Hi Mike,

Nothing new so far regarding the reporting capabilities, I'm afraid. You might want to check out alternatives that are really specialized in processing flow data, like elastiflow or commercial tools like Plixer for example who we partnered up with.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 19, 2019 10:05:31 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

Are their any plans to develop these reports?

Kind regards, Kevin

Created on Aug 29, 2019 8:30:01 AM

Votes:

Hello Kevin,

Currently not, I'm afraid. Please see here what's currently being worked at.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 30, 2019 5:41:33 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.