What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

View of alarms per user

Votes:

Hello,

We have a lot of sensors and several people to monitor them. We would like to be able to assign sensors to users so that each user only gets notified for his scope.

We could not manage to configure that with our PRTG Network Monitor 9.1.0.1548.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

notifications prtg user

Created on Oct 19, 2011 9:31:47 AM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

sure, you can adjust the visibility of object to User Groups at the Settings page within the panel "Inherit Access Rights". Here you choose the right "None" for your PRTG User Group. Please keep in mind that System Administrator Group stands over all and can see everything. So you have to add new User Groups.

The notification is completely distinct from this. In order to manage it, go to Setup / My Account / Notifications. Add new notifications and assign them to your User Groups with a specific Email Address.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Created on Oct 19, 2011 2:06:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I had hoped for some other solution but I'll restrict visibility with user groups then (didn't want the users to be unable to see the rest, just wanted them not be bothered by it).

The notifications seem very nice. Although I'll probably stick to the system tray icon.

Thanks, have a nice day too.

Created on Oct 19, 2011 2:15:53 PM

Votes:

You can also consider public maps with only alarms on them, and give out different maps with different content to different users.

Created on Oct 19, 2011 2:26:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That is a good idea! Thanks I'll try that too if we decide not to use the tray icon.

Created on Oct 19, 2011 2:28:46 PM

Votes:

Using the TrayNotifier, your users can select a root object. Only alarms on sensors below this object will be shown to the user.

So if your PRTG tree structure matches your user "departments", it is really simple to only bother them with alarms of their own department.

Regards,

Created on Oct 19, 2011 7:17:59 PM

Votes:

Ok that's very helpful too. We'll have to reorganize all our sensors though, I'll see.

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

Created on Oct 20, 2011 7:01:48 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.