What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP DELL SERVER / RAID : Check Return Value

Votes:

Hi all, I am just testing PRTG and quite happy. I am trying to monitor my DELL server with SNMP without any problem, except one, it does not interpret the return value. For example I am using the DELL Storage Management-MIB OID from PRTG SNMP Library Go to global Data / Agent Global System Status (1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.110.13.0) Monitor work and the return value showed by the sensor is correct except that the returned value is not interpreted, even if the value is warning, PTRG show the sensor as OK.

So I opened the integrated DELL Storage Management-MIB with Paessler MIB importer. Go to my data and llok at the Desciption Field. It indicate the following

The status is intended to give initiative to a snmp monitor to get further data when this status is abnormal. Possible values: 1: Other 2: Unknown 3: OK 4: Non-critical 5: Critical 6: Non-recoverable

My sensor return value 4 (normal my server has a problem), put PRTG says OK. So my question is, how do I tell PRTG that for snmp returned value, OK is value 1, and all others are Errors ?

Thank you for your help

dell monitoring perc raid return snmp value

Created on Nov 7, 2011 3:35:44 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

hallo,

the returned value 3 is OK, all others are more or less critical.

Go to the channels tab of the sensor, select the sensor in question and enable limits

then enter your limits where the upper error limit might be 4 and the lower error limit is 2.

That way the sensor will be in an error state if the value is different from 3.

Created on Nov 7, 2011 3:46:49 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.