What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Tips&Tricks: Can I filter a sensor list for several tags?

Votes:

When using the PRTG web interface, I would like to view a list of sensors that carry several tags. For example, I want to show sensors only that have both a myTag and and bandwidthsensor tag.

Also, is it possible to only show sensors of a certain type that carry a certain tag?

filter prtg tags tips

Created on Nov 15, 2011 1:29:06 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

10 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 9

The information in this article is provided for your information only. It is intended for advanced users. Systems may change at any time, so the procedures described below may not work with future versions of PRTG.

Filter Sensor Lists by Several Tags

In the PRTG web interface, when you choose Sensors | By Tag | ... from the main menu, PRTG calls a URL which shows a sensor list filtered by the selected tag. For example,

/sensors.htm?filter_tags=@tag(bandwidthsensor)

shows a list of all sensors which are tagged bandwidthsensor.

Using this mechanism, you can add additional tags to this filter in order to extend the list. For example,

/sensors.htm?filter_tags=@tag(bandwidthsensor,snmptrafficsensor)

will show a combined list containing all sensors tagged bandwidthsensor or snmptrafficsensor.

In order to make tags obligatory (similar to a Boolean AND operator), add a + sign in front of each tag. Note: The + sign has to be URL-encoded! So, use %2b instead. For example,

/sensors.htm?filter_tags=@tag(%2bbandwidthsensor,%2bsnmptrafficsensor)

will show a combined list containing only sensors tagged bandwidthsensor and snmptrafficsensor.

Filter Sensor Lists by Tag and Type

You can combine these calls also with the filters that are applied when you choose Sensors | By Type | ... from PRTG's main menu. For example,

/sensors.htm?filter_type=ping

shows a list of all sensors of the type "Ping".

Combine this with tags if you wish. For example,

/sensors.htm?filter_type=ping&filter_tags=@tag(myTag)

will show a list of all sensors of the type "Ping" which are tagged myTag.

See Also

PRTG 9 Manual: Libraries

Created on Nov 15, 2011 1:50:05 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 15, 2011 2:27:47 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

I was wondering how you would add an and/or filter to the tag list.

For example, I have three tags and I want it to be:

TagA and (TagB or TagC)

I'm having trouble coming up with the formatting for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Created on Nov 6, 2013 5:50:22 PM

Votes:

I'm very sorry, but combinations of AND and OR are not possible in these tag filters on lists.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 5:43:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Are we able to exclude specific tabs from the filter ?

Something like if Critical and not vpn

If not Ill look at putting in a feature request as I think this would be a valuable addition

Thanks

Created on Jun 19, 2015 7:14:54 AM

Votes:

For the @tag- filter function you can use a - as operator for NOT. So

-vpn

should exclude all vpn-tagged sensords.

Created on Jun 24, 2015 8:09:12 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it possible to use NOT filtered tags in maps? It seems not to work for me.

Created on Feb 10, 2016 10:35:12 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid I can't quite follow, can you explain with more details please?

Created on Feb 10, 2016 3:00:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In maps, I can filter by tags to show only certain sensors, but I would like to show all sensors except a few selected ones which I tagged for this purpose. In the sensor list view I can do that using - sign, but this does not seem to work in maps.

Created on Feb 11, 2016 2:41:04 AM

Votes:

It should also work with maps, it's just a - infront of the tag:

-tag

I just successfully tried it on a map on my PRTG. '-cpu' as tag filter removed all entries on a Top 10 "Least used CPU Sensors" (before it did show 2 sensors). http://abload.de/img/2016-02-1110_13_21-maz0q27.png

Created on Feb 11, 2016 9:15:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I found the error, thank you.

Created on Feb 12, 2016 7:31:30 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.