What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Important: a way to delay down sensors!

Votes:

We have a group of sensors that are very fragile, because its a server that is unstable, but we will only be able to put a new server to fix these issues next year.

So its very sensible... An alert goes down, it alerts me immediatly, becomes red and plays sound. Then next time it checks its up. This nite I used IPAD instead of trusting on SMS alerts which I get only later. But I didnt get much sleep :) It would alert all the time about these sensible sensors.

There is no way to DELAY the red alert and sound a few minutes...

It would be a really nice feature. Hopefully others will agree.

Please cast your vote :)

Thanks.

alert delay

Created on Nov 24, 2011 3:32:30 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

1. Setup a ping sensor as master object for your device, so if the ping goes down the other sensors will not alert.
  2. Next, do not setup a "down" trigger but an "escalation" trigger for the ping sensor. Setting the escalation to xx minutes will only send a notification when the sensor is down for more than xx continues minutes .

Regards,

Created on Nov 24, 2011 6:29:17 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks, but I think its not what I want... Its not notification, rather delaying the down sensor sound alert itself and that seems not possible.

So if you have an unstable server, it keeps going down and making sound alert non stop, then goes back to normal, etc. I want to be able to delay the alerts for down sensors.

Thanks.

Created on Nov 25, 2011 1:48:56 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Would it help to not show alarms on the master Ping sensor as "Down" but as "Down Acknowledged" ? (You can set this in the "settings" tab of a ping sensor)

In other words, will auto acknowledge the down ping sensor prevent the alarm sound from playing?

If that is the case, you could write a custom sensor that goes down (and sounds the alarm) if one of the auto ack'd sensors is down for more than xx minutes.

Regards,

Created on Nov 25, 2011 2:35:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.