What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor ecommerce VPN across production internet

Votes:

Relatively new to PRTG v9, and have been tasked with how to solve a monitoring problem with a VPN using SNMP v1. We would like to see traffic patterns for bandwidth, speed, and latency specific to a VPN tunnel for our e-commerce (from here to Amazon) that is also running across our core production internet connection. I’m being told it’s not possible to discriminate the VPN from the production internet because of the firewall and inherent vpn encryption in the tunnel. I have read some knowledgebase threads here, that sounded like using a prtg remote probe w/packet sniffer sensor if configured at a router or switch monitoring port supplying the VPN connections to our core, perhaps just before the firewall in order to discriminate it from general traffic? I also read something where I would need to identify the OID to determine which VPN to do so, and something about reboots renaming the OID, so you would lose the monitoring on that tunnel?!? Still learning, so any suggestions or help appreciated.

discriminate tunnel vpn

Created on Nov 25, 2011 4:22:11 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

Using the SNMP Trafic Sensor you can do that. We are using this to monitor VPN traffic on two Cisco VPN concentrators and one Cisco PIX.

Regards,

Created on Nov 27, 2011 6:07:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.