What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change Group Membership for Active Directory Users

Votes:

Hello,

first, the new AD Integration is a nice feature. But I would like to know if there is any possibility to change the group membership of an AD-User - e.g. from our general "admin"-AD group to a network group in PRTG.

All of our PRTG Users are within the same AD-group but have different restrictions to what they can see. So it would be nice to replace the custom accounts in PRTG with AD-Accounts but keep different restrictions they have.

And we will not change our AD-structure only for PRTG permisisons :)

active-directory groups permissions prtg

Created on Nov 29, 2011 12:12:22 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm sorry but it is not possible to "move" AD-Users (in PRTG) into normal PRTG-User groups.

best regards.

Created on Nov 29, 2011 3:50:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This option needs to be added. We have many different organizational groups in our AD structure and some users are in many different groups. I'm not sure how PRTG knows which group to create and then what group to add the user to.

Created on Jan 10, 2012 5:27:16 PM

Votes:

I agree... this definitely needs to be added

Created on Nov 2, 2012 6:01:34 PM

Votes:

While this is already an pretty old thread: Is anything planned in this direction? I'd also highly vote for the option of having AD users in local PRTG user groups.

Created on Oct 29, 2014 12:30:23 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.