What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor the disks of an ESXi (4.1)

Votes:

We want to monitor the disks of an ESXi (4.1) in our infrastructure. Problem is that we need to monitor wheter the disks are functioning without problems or not, but either there's no sensor to do this or I'm totally blind.

Maybe someone can help me at this case, I've also red about an ESXi Health Sensor which I can't find in the listings of my sensors. Is there any Sensor-Donwloading-Area where I can get additional sensors?

4-1 esxi prtg

Created on Dec 13, 2011 3:46:41 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

have you tried the SSH VMWare ESX(i) Disk Sensor?

best regards.

Created on Dec 13, 2011 5:31:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your reply and sorry for not answering. The flue got me and so I couldn't go to work.

Yes I've tried the SSH VMWare ESX(i) Disk Sensor, but I'm not sure wheter this one can show me if one of my disks is broken. Would try to simulate it, but yeah not pretty easy to simulate a hardware failure on a virtual machine (just got a virtual environment to test PRTG).

Actually I'd say I'd use the VMWare Host Hardware Sensor, but this one is only compatible with an ESX(i) version 3.5 or 4.0.

Maybe some other ideas?

Greetings

Created on Dec 19, 2011 7:43:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.