What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How long can the database last?

Votes:

Does it depend on the the capacity of the hard disk drive?

capacity database prtg

Created on Jan 3, 2012 1:14:18 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

indirectly yes. By default PRTG stores monitoring data for 365 days (this can be changed in the "System&Website"-Settings in PRTG). Of course the biggest factors for the size of the data files are the number of sensors, their type and their scanning interval.

best regards.

Created on Jan 3, 2012 1:52:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In the system&website, for historic Sensor Data, they point out that for smaller installations (500..........) a value of 365 should be fine. However, there is no any information regarding a value above 365. Then what should we do if i need to store up to 3 years records for analysis. Do we need to set 1095 ? Is that right ?

Created on Jan 4, 2012 2:16:05 PM

Votes:

Yes.

Created on Jan 4, 2012 2:20:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How about if we want to monitor 3000 sensors. Are a hard disk with 2T storage capacity enough to store up to ten-years historic sensor data.

Created on Jan 12, 2012 1:48:21 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much. It is very helpful. By the way are there information regarding archiving. i.e. backup and restore the data. Are the data can be actrieved by other database system. If yes, would you pls suggest us.

Created on Jan 12, 2012 2:34:13 PM

Votes:

It's not possible to export/archive/backup PRTGs data into another database system. Otherwise please see: How do I backup all data and configuration of my PRTG installation?

Created on Jan 12, 2012 3:15:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.