What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

windows 2008 64bit counters issue

Votes:

Hello,

We are running some servers with Gig Network and unfortunately unable to get actual bandwidth used by this servers due to 32bit counters.

We do not have control over switches at some location so wondering if there is anyway we can poll nic bandwidth using any other method or anyone knows how to enable snmpd with 64bit counters.

I will appreciate any help!

Thanks, Sunil

64bit-counters prtg snmp

Created on Jan 3, 2012 1:44:29 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It is highly likely that this issue stems from Windows 2008 not supporting 64-bit counters. Seeing as I couldn't find an update that support for the same has been implemented, we would recommend using either WMI sensors or using the SNMP Informant libraries.

Created on Jan 3, 2012 2:21:08 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

8 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

enable SNMP on the servers and use snmp v2 traffic counters.

Created on Jan 3, 2012 1:54:46 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are using SNMP v2 from day one. Issue is that it doesn't provide actual in/out, if I check datacenter graph it shows over 1gbps out while PRTG graph is showing 400mbps.

Created on Jan 3, 2012 2:10:42 PM

Votes:

Also would like to add here, if I login into server and go to task manager, it does show similar usage as displayed in datacenter graph.

I did some research and it appears to be issue with SNMP in windows 2008 r2 that still doesn't support 64bit.

Is there any other way to poll bandwidth from servers? I do not have control on switches at some locations.

Created on Jan 3, 2012 2:12:41 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It is highly likely that this issue stems from Windows 2008 not supporting 64-bit counters. Seeing as I couldn't find an update that support for the same has been implemented, we would recommend using either WMI sensors or using the SNMP Informant libraries.

Created on Jan 3, 2012 2:21:08 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

1. ok I just installed snmp-informant.com std edition (free) on server (which I wish to poll)

2. Downloaded MIB from http://www.wtcs.org/informant/mibs.htm - SMI v2 MIB (Informant-Standard (freeware))

3. Compiled OIDLIB using PRTG MIB Importer

4. Placed OIDLIB under C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\snmplibs

5. Restarted PRTG Core Services, I am able to see INFORMANT OIDLIB when adding SNMP Library Sensor but when I try to add sensor, I see following error message, not sure what I am doing wrong.

error: Error Message:"No available interfaces on this device (code: PE049)"

Please help!

Sunil

Created on Jan 23, 2012 5:11:08 AM

Votes:

Adding more info:

I am using PRTG Network Monitor 8.4.2.2381 on Windows 2008 R2 to poll servers, it is working fine when I poll routers that are capable of 64bit snmp counters, I see this issue only servers (windows 2003, 2008, 2008 r2) that have gig outbound which I am aware of (due to 64bit counter issue)

Created on Jan 23, 2012 5:18:09 AM

Votes:

Sorry to bump but I will appreciate if anyone from PRTG support responds thread.

Created on Jan 25, 2012 3:03:12 PM

Votes:

Well, can you add an SNMP Uptime-Sensor in PRTG to one device which represents such a Windows Host? If not, then there is likely an issue with the SNMP Connection in general. It may be necessary to allow the PRTG Host (IP) to send SNMP Requests to the target server. You can also use our SNMP Tester to troubleshoot for the SNMP Comunication (please then run the Tester on the PRTG Machine) and also scan the oidlib from the Tester.

Created on Jan 25, 2012 4:04:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.