What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dell EqualLogic SAN Monitoring

Votes:

Is it possible to get a good read-out of a Dell EqualLogic SAN ? I see in PRTG9 dell hardware monitoring is included.

But when i add a Dell EqualLogic SAN to PRTG i get very little information, ofcourse i can load in a MIB file. But this just gives a lot of information.

It it possible that Paessler can create a template for a Dell EqualLogic SAN?

dell equallogic monitoring san

Created on Jan 9, 2012 3:23:31 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update: As of October 2016, with the release of version 16.4.27 these sensors are no longer considered BETA.

Update: As of May 10th 2016 Stable version 16.2.24.3685/3686 includes the Equallogic sensors.

Hello Everyone,
it's been a while, we've gathered quite a few requests for this and are now pleased to announce that the latest canary PRTG release (Version 16.1.24.2867) includes the following NEW sensors (Currently BETA):

We would really appreciate some feedback on these sensors, so if you've got an Dell Equallogic in place, feel free to Download the Trial/Freeware version from our website and switch to the Canary release channel, after updating to version 16.1.24.2867 or later you will be able to test the new sensors for yourself.

And, if you encounter any issues with the sensors, please contact-us! We'll be eager to hear your feedback.

As this is currently in the Canary channel only we don't currently don't recommend deploying this in a production PRTG Server.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 23, 2016 6:50:06 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jan 17, 2017 6:37:51 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

45 Replies

Votes:

Hallo,

since we do not have a Equalogic available for testing, it is unlikely that we will create a template for it, sorry.

Created on Jan 9, 2012 3:50:19 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We can provide you access, is this possible and will you accept it?

Created on Jan 9, 2012 4:07:27 PM

Votes:

THX for the offer, but we would need the device here. To become familiar with it. We can not do any tests on customers live equipment! Especially on such an important piece of equipment!

Created on Jan 11, 2012 7:45:50 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

A year has passed since the last update in this thread. Is there any way now of monitoring Dell Equalogic SANs?

Thanks

Created on Jan 3, 2013 3:31:47 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry, so far this is still on the wishlist, monitoring Equallogic systems usually is possible though using SNMP and importing the necessary MIB(s) with our MIB Importer.

Created on Jan 3, 2013 5:38:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

it impossible monitoring the equallogic with prtg,

i have mib and importing...but how to search and select the correct oids?

is very easy talk" not have this equipament, cannot test"

need a solution to monitoring my equallogic ps series

thanks

Created on Oct 6, 2014 6:34:46 AM

Votes:

We don't really want to make recommendations here, as we do not have the device in our networks nor have any experiences with it. Maybe though Dell could give you some tips which elements from the MIB are most important to be monitored.

Created on Oct 6, 2014 12:16:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok. i found some oid to monitoring Fan,Energy,CPU,etc

the storage are very complicated setup monitoring, i suggest snmp sensor like poweredge hardware health,etc.

The equallogic is very popular on business mid-size

Created on Oct 13, 2014 2:18:43 PM

Votes:

We'll add Equalogic-Sensors to our wishlist. Please bear with us, I can't name an ETA or version for such sensors. We'll need to see if other users request these sensors as well, and if so how often.

Created on Oct 13, 2014 3:07:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Add another vote for us -- we would love to have a reliable Equallogic sensor...

Created on Nov 10, 2014 3:41:12 PM

Votes:

How can you not support a Dell product? I mean the 3 companies that you should be supporting are HP, IBM, and Dell. Dell makes up about 15% of the server market. Any way +1 the vote for Equal logic ssh sensors.

Created on Dec 2, 2014 7:11:52 PM

Votes:

Hello,

We are about to buy a monitoring software, and a good equallogic sensor in PRTG would be a strong factor in favor of your solution against Nagios.

Have you any informations about the realisation of such sensor ?

Created on Dec 15, 2014 2:17:59 PM

Votes:

Equallogic Sensors are still on the wish list. Sorry.

Created on Dec 16, 2014 9:44:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've been a paying customer of PRTG for many years, and would also like to see support for Equallogic SAN monitoring! I already use the NetApp sensors, and to have option to monitor our Equallogic SAN's would be great...

Created on Jan 27, 2015 11:02:47 AM

Votes:

any news about sensors to equallogic? thanks

Created on Feb 27, 2015 8:48:25 PM

Votes:

Still on the wish list I'm afraid.

Created on Mar 2, 2015 9:42:14 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I have equallogic array to monitor too. Maybe can you post the OID you have already found, please?

Thanks a lot

Created on Apr 25, 2015 11:29:43 AM

Votes:

What is the status on this, its been 3 years (PLEASE ADD Dell Equalogic)

Created on May 18, 2015 2:15:27 PM

Votes:

This is still on the wishlist, monitoring Equallogic systems usually is possible though using SNMP and importing the necessary MIB(s) with our MIB Importer.

Created on May 19, 2015 3:02:14 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

+1 vote for Dell EqualLogic

Created on Jun 22, 2015 10:58:59 PM

Votes:

Has anyone managed to get hold of the MIBs to try and use the MIB importer?

Created on Jul 27, 2015 12:03:23 PM

Votes:

Hello galvinised,
according to Dell's community website, users with a valid login can download it directly from their website.

Created on Jul 28, 2015 9:36:12 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Created on Jul 31, 2015 1:18:12 PM

Votes:

Created on Aug 24, 2015 7:34:55 PM

Votes:

PLEASE add a sensor for Dell Equalogic

Created on Sep 1, 2015 7:57:40 PM

Votes:

Pretty Please.....+1 more for Equalogic, we are just evaluating this software at the moment, and if it could monitor our SAN's, it would definitely help seal a justification.

Created on Sep 8, 2015 5:13:13 AM

Votes:

Vote counted. Meanwhile, have a look at This Article which will allow you to monitor the SAN by importing the MIB file.

Created on Sep 8, 2015 5:17:05 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1000 for Dell EqualLogic Sensor!

Created on Sep 9, 2015 8:47:07 PM

Votes:

+1 This would be really nice.

Created on Sep 15, 2015 11:50:05 AM

Votes:

Hi, I'm currently evaluating PRTG as a monitoring solution and the ability to monitor a Dell Equalogic SAN before I'll purchase. Please can you provide any up-to-date information on how I would go about using provided templates to monitor performance and LUN capacity.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Created on Sep 21, 2015 3:39:06 PM

Votes:

This feature is still on our wish list. Did you already try to use our MIB Importer to create the sensors following This Guide?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Sep 22, 2015 10:58:23 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 for Dell Equallogic monitoring

Created on Feb 2, 2016 4:21:40 PM

Votes:

I have imported the MIB for one of the storage and it created over 1000 sensors for it. The PRTG server became irresponsible in short time even from the console. I had to delete the device from monitoring. The MIB file is very complex and I guess only the "right" OID should be selected (but which one?).

Created on Feb 16, 2016 4:18:03 AM

Votes:

I can't believe one of the most popular mid-size business storage solutions is not natively supported.

+1 For Dell EQ

Created on Feb 17, 2016 3:15:15 PM

Votes:

Hi people at Paessler,

could you confirm if the request for EQ template is on the roadmap or still on the dream list only? Over last 4 years multiple people express desire to use PRTG with the EQ and your answer seems to be not meeting the expectation. I understand that template for EQ hasn't reach score for implementation yet, but at the same time I wonder how QNAP storage managed to beat the score so it got implemented.

Re MIB: MIB from Dell are pretty complex (importing the lot will nearly collapse PRTG server) and many important OIDs aren't actually imported to PRTG. I guess some compatibility issues with output format. Re template: I believe the typical query/script for storage sensors is nearly identical across multiple platforms. The only difference would be OID. On internet it is possible to find OID which are used for typical EQ monitoring (it requires scripting). So IMHO it shouldn't be so difficult to build EQ sensors. Re availability: If you don't have the equipment at your premise, can't you just create "sensor for alpha testing", distribute it to the community, so it can be tested?

Thank you and have a nice day Tom

Created on Feb 22, 2016 2:12:27 PM

Votes:

Tom, I'm very much afraid this is still on the wishlist only. I've counted and forwarded your and all other votes again. Please bear with us.

Created on Feb 23, 2016 6:52:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just adding a +1 to this, please add!

Importing the MIB is possible but it is a huge PITA as I have to go thru each module (there are many) to define what they are as they are not obvious by their ID's. The MIB importer is a great tool, tho!

Created on Mar 2, 2016 10:19:26 PM

Votes:

Created on Mar 23, 2016 5:30:26 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update: As of October 2016, with the release of version 16.4.27 these sensors are no longer considered BETA.

Update: As of May 10th 2016 Stable version 16.2.24.3685/3686 includes the Equallogic sensors.

Hello Everyone,
it's been a while, we've gathered quite a few requests for this and are now pleased to announce that the latest canary PRTG release (Version 16.1.24.2867) includes the following NEW sensors (Currently BETA):

We would really appreciate some feedback on these sensors, so if you've got an Dell Equallogic in place, feel free to Download the Trial/Freeware version from our website and switch to the Canary release channel, after updating to version 16.1.24.2867 or later you will be able to test the new sensors for yourself.

And, if you encounter any issues with the sensors, please contact-us! We'll be eager to hear your feedback.

As this is currently in the Canary channel only we don't currently don't recommend deploying this in a production PRTG Server.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 23, 2016 6:50:06 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jan 17, 2017 6:37:51 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

is there any way we can get this single beta sensor ?

Created on May 24, 2016 8:13:52 AM

Votes:

Hi Samfre,

The sensors are part of the current stable version. Update to the latest version to unlock the new sensors! Enjoy!

Best regards, Felix

Created on May 26, 2016 4:33:55 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

VERY NICE! Thank you. I just popped in to check on the status and this was a pleasant surprise.

Only been a few minutes, but the sensors look great so far. Any additional EQ sensors would just be icing on the cake.

Created on May 26, 2016 7:11:50 PM

Votes:

Just a follow-up to my last - I just noticed all the features in the "Member Health" sensor. That's everything I wanted, THANK YOU!

Created on May 26, 2016 7:15:55 PM

Votes:

We're very happy to hear that. You're welcome :)

Created on May 27, 2016 8:14:06 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.