What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device sensor "pause" profiles...

Votes:

A nice feature for PRTG would be a way to define "device sensor pause profiles" - named profiles that identify a specific state of all the sensors on a device that can easily be enabled/disabled in one click.

For example, I have a device with 99 sensors. I don't want all of them on at once, say I want 1/3 of them active at a given time (just as an example).

So I could define 3 named profiles, "one" "two" and "three" and with a single action I could apply one of those profiles and all the sensors would go to the state stored in that profile.

eg, if I apply profile "one" then the first third of the sensors are active & the other two thirds are paused. If I then apply profile "two" the middele third of the sensors go active & the other two thirds are paused, etc.

In fact, might be nice if this could be done even at probe or even the root level (profiles for the entire prtg installation...)

Any chance we might see something like this at some point?

pause profiles sensor

Created on Jan 9, 2012 6:56:40 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Although not exactly what you are looking for, but using the PRTG API and a little scripting you can create your own sets of objects to pause and resume. For more information, see PRTG Manual: Application Programming Interface (API) Definition.

Regards,

Created on Jan 10, 2012 7:39:13 PM

Last change on Jul 18, 2018 1:05:07 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid such a thing is not planned, but using the multi-edit you could easily change the Schedule quickly on several sensors at once. The same applies at pausing/resuming several sensors at once with a few clicks.

best regards.

Created on Jan 10, 2012 2:59:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, well - consider it a feature request. Would be nice to see it at some point in the future. I already use the multi-edit feature to do this, but it's quite tedious with many sensors.

Thanks...

Created on Jan 10, 2012 3:18:06 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Although not exactly what you are looking for, but using the PRTG API and a little scripting you can create your own sets of objects to pause and resume. For more information, see PRTG Manual: Application Programming Interface (API) Definition.

Regards,

Created on Jan 10, 2012 7:39:13 PM

Last change on Jul 18, 2018 1:05:07 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the pointer Gerard, this definitely looks promising. An integrated way would be nice, but looks like I'm gonna have to roll my own here.

Created on Jan 12, 2012 8:39:31 PM

Votes:

With a little perl scripting using the perl LWP library and the PRTG API I was able to achive this functionality. I have one script that pulls all the device & sensor IDs and another where I can list the sensors I want unpaused and it sends HTTP GETs to pause and unpause the necessary sensors using the sensor IDs. VERY SLICK!

Created on Jan 14, 2012 5:06:19 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.