What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor in cloned map does not show correct graph after changing object

Votes:

There seems to be a bug in PRTG Network Monitor 9.1.6.1963 when cloning a map & then changing a sensor object to point to another sensor.

I have an existing map, which I clone. On the new map, I select a graph object (it's a sensor factory live graph) and then click Select Object from the properties window. I browse to a different sensor factory object and click OK.

The field "External link" is updated to reflect the new sensor ID, but the graph shown on the map is still the old object's graph. Nothing I've tried gets it to show the right graph (including rebooting both the remote probe where the device is hosted & the main prtg server).

It's easily reproducible in my setup, let me know if more info is needed. Thanks.

clone map sensor

Created on Jan 16, 2012 1:57:49 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello Tim,

that's normal and not a bug. The "External Link" is only a link, and not a property determining what a map-object shows. This is done by dragging the according object (device, group, probe or sensor) onto the map (in the map designer) from the left-pane, where the device tree resides. Just grab the other sensor which the map-object in the cloned map is supposed to show from the device tree, and drag it onto the map-object.

best regards.

Created on Jan 16, 2012 2:00:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply, I understand now that "select object" is just to pick an object to link to, somehow I thought it was to actually change the object the item references.

I also tried the drag & drop thing & didn't find that to work either (I was d&d'ing the graph item from the properties side), but now I find that I can just d&d the new device from the device tree onto the old sensor & it updates. That was not entirely inuitive to me but now I get it. Thanks.

Created on Jan 16, 2012 5:05:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.