What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

XML tag in custom script

Votes:

I have made a custom script. This script return an XML value. I have read "PRTG API (Application Programming Interface)". I have found what I can use in my XML response.

But, can I put a limit for a channel ? It's possible to make that with the web gui, but in a response xml ?

Can I manage the notifications by my response in XML ?

Thanks for the reply

custom-sensor script xml

Created on Jan 23, 2012 12:21:17 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Sebastien,

it should be possible to set the Limits in the Channel-settings of the Sensor in the Webinterface of PRTG then.

best regards.

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:28:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, but I monitor a lot of Volume in my NetApp System. I don't want to set manually on 45 channels a limit with the Webinterface.

So, can I set a limit in my response XML ? OR There is an other way to do that ?

Thanks

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:30:33 PM

Votes:

Well, if you perform the check within your script, you only have the chance of returning an error like this:

To return an error, the format is:

<prtg>
  <error>1</error>
  <text>Your error message</text>
</prtg>

But this then will obliterate all values for all channels of the sensor, because the sensor is in error-state from the script on. Whereas going via the Channel-Limits would preserve the values on the channels.

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:40:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I don't want to use the Channel-Limit by the webinterface, because the list of channel can change at every moment. So, I need to put "limit" dynamicly. If the list of my volume change (in exemple I have a new volume) I need to add a limit with the webinterface. I do not want to set manually a limit.

There is a way to do that dynamicly ?

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:46:16 PM

Votes:

Well, as said, then the only other way is to do it in the script and return only an error-code with an error-message from the script to PRTG.

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:51:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I will try that

Thanks for your reply

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:52:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.