What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Rollup Status in a map

Votes:

I create several maps to visualize the status of business processes. Because some "small" processes are touched in other processes I would like to show the status of the "submap" in the main map. So if any sensor of the submap has a status other than green the status of the submap changes accordingly.

Is there a way to achieve this?

maps processes visualization

Created on Jan 24, 2012 1:01:55 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid that is not possible. There are no map objects which can "summarize" the state of the map-objects on another map. Linking to other maps is of course possible though.

best regards.

Created on Jan 24, 2012 5:28:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

You can use a Custom Sensor that goes down if one of the sensors in your submap goes down and place this sensor on your main map.

Regards,

Created on Jan 24, 2012 7:08:24 PM

Last change on Jan 24, 2012 8:25:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

building custom sensors would be a very high effort. Because there is the need of jumping into the submap from the main map, I have to build the custom sensor and the map, too. So the work has to be done twice. On the other hand there is the high risk, that the content of the map and sensor diverge after time. I always have to remember that changes of the map are reflected in the sensor.

Are there plans to implement something like a "submap" object into the map builder? This would be very helpful in the visualization of complex business processes.

Regards, Peter

Created on Jan 25, 2012 7:42:23 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid there are no such plans, as you can already rotate through several maps now (which though requires to be logged in).

Created on Jan 25, 2012 10:35:18 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.