What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sonicwall CPU and Memory monitoring

Votes:

How can I configure a sensor in PRTG Traffic Grapher 6.2.1 to monitor CPU and memory usage on a SonicWall TZ190? I'm already monitoring bandwidth on this device, so SNMP is working on both ends. I tried importing the SonicWall MIB via Paessler MIB Importer, and after several "manual edits" to the MIB file I got at least a few OIDs to transfer - but none of them seem to be recognized by the SonicWall when I scan using the imported OID file. Help?

cpu-load prtg sonicwall

Created on Jan 25, 2012 12:19:25 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

PRTG Network Monitor 13.x.5 or later provides an SNMP SonicWALL System Health Sensor out-of-the-box. It can show, for example, CPU and memory usage.

In previous versions, please try the following OIDs with an SNMP Custom Sensor :

• 1.3.6.1.4.1.8741.1.3.1.4.0 for Memory Usage
  • 1.3.6.1.4.1.8741.1.3.1.3.0 for CPU Usage

You can also use our SNMP Tester to test these OIDs or your oidlib against the Sonicwall.

best regards.

Created on Jan 25, 2012 2:08:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 8, 2013 4:13:24 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

Thanks so much. The CPU OID appears to be working perfectly, but the memory OID does not - though it did pass the OID test in PRTG. Is it meant to be tracking RAM Used, RAM Remaining, Flash Used, Flash Remaining or some other parameter?

Actually, I'd really appreciate getting as many OID definitions for this unit as I can find. Any chance you'd be willing to post a list or direct me to one? All of the posted MIB files for SonicWall that I've managed to find have failed to produce any useful OIDs for PRTG.

Thanks!

p

Created on Jan 25, 2012 7:40:13 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid these were the only two OIDs I could find to this. Maybe other PRTG and Sonicwall users can help here?

Created on Jan 26, 2012 2:56:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, several other sites corroborate that OID as being the proper one for percentage memory used. Mine continuously reports "4" and nothing else.

I did find an exhaustive and informative listing of OIDs for SonicWall and many other vendors here:

http://www.mibdepot.com/cgi-bin/vendor_index.cgi?r=sonicwall

These website is fairly complex hierarchies to wade through - but it is quite useful and explain quite a bit about how OIDs work. I found the site particularly helpful in decoding these numbers.

One very useful OID is for total # of current connections - almost the same as above:

Thanks all! I hope someone else finds this information helpful.

Cheers,

P

Created on Jan 27, 2012 2:15:28 AM

Last change on Mar 15, 2012 12:54:41 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.