What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG, Custom SNMP, Alert Status

Votes:

Hello,

I created a custom SNMP sensor to monitor a process on a Linux machine. I have configured the Linux machine's SNMP service to change the SNMP value if the process is not running. I then use the PRTG to monitor this value. By default, when the value is 0 (zero) it means the process is running. When the value changes to 1 it means the service is has stopped.

The PRTG is picking up these value changes without a problem. But what I want to do is be able to change the status of the Senor and put it into Alarm if the value changes to a specific value.

I have looked at the Notifications, and the closest thing I can find is the "Log Event". I don't necessarily want to send out messages, but it would be nice if I can change the status of the sensor so that it shows up under the "Alarms" section of the PRTG Interface.

Is there a way to accomplish this using a custom SNMP?

alarm custom-sensor snmp

Created on Jan 30, 2012 2:33:34 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

you can do this using the Error/Warning-Limits on the Channel-Tab of the Sensor. Simply set the Upper Error Limit to 0, then everything above will be considered as error.

best regards.

Created on Jan 30, 2012 5:04:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

thank you, I can't believe I missed this! I have adjusted the settings and they work perfectly!

Thank you,

Cheers

Created on Feb 2, 2012 10:56:24 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.