What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I am only able to see one NIC card via Packet Capture option.

Votes:

We have 2008 R2 Server that is the main Server for PRTG at the Central HUB. We have six Network cards on the Server. I would like to use to of these network cards to send SPAN \ Mirror traffic to. One of the connections will be to packet capture the Internet traffic and the other will be for our MPLS traffic. The only NIC card that I am able to see if the NIC card the is connected to our core Switch that has the actual IP address of the PRTG Server. The NIC's that I have in Promiscuous Mode where the SPAN \ Mirror traffic is being sent to will not show up in PRTG. Any suggestions?

blank nic-card packet-capture

Created on Feb 8, 2012 6:28:07 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

do they have an IP set/assigned these other NICs?

best regards.

Created on Feb 8, 2012 6:36:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, Because woulnt it cause issues accessing the Server by DNS name?

Created on Feb 8, 2012 7:11:11 PM

Votes:

The Packet Sniffer Sensor needs to have IPs on the NICs to see them. Once you've assigned IPs to them please restart the Probe Service (because this detection is done in the starting process of the probe).

Created on Feb 8, 2012 7:24:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.