What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Date and Time for SMTP Sensor

Votes:

I want my SMTP Sensor to show the date and time it sent the mail.

Are there any workaround to include it on the Topic or Content of the SMTP Sensor?

Thanks.

date email smtp time

Created on Feb 16, 2012 1:40:27 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF.EmailRoundTrip

There is an alternative email sensor available at the Google Code project that does show date and time the email was send in the email body.

Some more benefits of this sensor:

• This sensor does not have to wait for the email to return, but processes the received email from the previous run of the sensor.
  • Fast response times, freeing up resources more quickly.
  • Roundtrip time is calculated by examining the email headers.
  • “Missed” email responses that come in too late are automatically deleted, keeping the users mailbox cleaned up.
  • The unique identifier is not in the email subject but in the email header, reducing the chance of the email getting caught by a spam filter.

Created on Feb 16, 2012 4:10:15 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

sorry, this is not possible, nor planned.

best regards.

Created on Feb 16, 2012 3:53:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF.EmailRoundTrip

There is an alternative email sensor available at the Google Code project that does show date and time the email was send in the email body.

Some more benefits of this sensor:

• This sensor does not have to wait for the email to return, but processes the received email from the previous run of the sensor.
  • Fast response times, freeing up resources more quickly.
  • Roundtrip time is calculated by examining the email headers.
  • “Missed” email responses that come in too late are automatically deleted, keeping the users mailbox cleaned up.
  • The unique identifier is not in the email subject but in the email header, reducing the chance of the email getting caught by a spam filter.

Created on Feb 16, 2012 4:10:15 PM

Votes:

Hi,

My SMTP Sensor's function is to send an email from Gmail to my Local Mail Server. It works using SMTP and SMTPPOP3 Roundtrip sensor but the problem is it doesn't show the Date and Time it sent the mail.

Anyway, I have tried PTF.EmailRoundTrip, here's the parameter I entered on the sensor settings: EmailRoundTripPop [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] -p=gmailpass -s=smtp.gmail.com [-pp=995-sp=465] [-ssl] [-t=300]

Last message shows: failure sending mail

Am I doing it right? Please advise.

Created on Feb 17, 2012 3:20:45 AM

Votes:

Hi Jon

-to Is the address to send the mail to, in your case [email protected]. -fr is the from address (the sender of the email) in your case [email protected]

Next we need a username and password to read mail from the mailbox where [email protected] is setup to forward to (in your example [email protected]): -u=user -p=password.

And we also need to know the name (or IP) of your local mail server -s=mail.localdomain.com

Last but not least, when running more than one instance of this sensor we need to be able to tell them apart by supplying the sensidID (-id=1001)

Making it something like this:

[email protected] [email protected] -id=xxx -u=user -p=password -s=mail.localdomain.com

The parameters between brackets like [-ssl] are optional parameters and when needed have to be supplied without the brackets.

Regards,

Created on Feb 17, 2012 11:27:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.