What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor with message in alarm

Votes:

I'm trying to implement a PRTG (9.2) sensor that when 'Down' will send me some text. ie. I could have a RESTful web service that returns
<status>OK</status> when up
and <status>7 errors. Server xyz has issue A. Server abc has issue B.</status>

I can do this with an XML/HTTP sensor, to a point, ie. using a change notification I can get an email when the <status> changes. However I can't see how to flag the sensor as Down when this occurs. My Channel would have the <status> text in it. I need to be able to define a second channel from another xml node, like <status> <errors>0</errors> <msg>OK</msg> </status>

I want to be able to send emails like:

Subject: Sensor blah in error - 7 is above the error limit of 0 Message: 7 errors. Server xyz has issue A. Server abc has issue B.

Is this possible?

Regards, Chris.

http prtg xml-rest

Created on Feb 28, 2012 5:42:26 AM

Last change on Feb 28, 2012 3:33:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Chris,

I'm sorry this is not possible, the "Down-Message" is already the sensors message if a sensor is down, there cannot be another message.

best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2012 3:34:04 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.