What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I use a ping probe to calculate Jitter?

Votes:

Since the ping probe can send a burst of many packets at once it it possible to somehow use it to automatically calculate jitter (variation in latency)?

jitter latency ping prtg qos

Created on Jun 19, 2010 1:34:59 AM

Last change on Jun 21, 2010 6:38:01 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

One note about jitter measurement from my side: If you use PINGs for Jitter measurement then you measure something completely different than what most people mean when they talk about "Jitter" for Quality of Service (which is mostly used to measure data line quality for VoIP or Video).

Please consider the following three aspects which explain the comparison between Gerard's solution for PING jitter measurement and PRTG's built in QoS sensor:

• PINGs use ICMP packets and many routers/switches give these a lower priority
  • When using PINGs and measure them at one point you actually measure the time a packets travels back and forth (PRTG's QoS sensor on the other side only sends the packets in one direction and measures travel time "one way")
  • VoIP and Video in most cases use UDP packets which routers/switches are likely to give a higher priority. That is the reason why PRTG's QoS sensor uses UDP to measure jitter etc.

I don't mean to critize Gerards solution in any way, we are always thankful for add-ons for PRTG created by the community. I just wanted to point out the differences between the two solutions.

For more information on PRTG's QoS Sensor please see: How PRTG's VoIP Features (QoS, and IP SLA Sensors) are Different or Unique

Created on Jun 23, 2010 12:38:28 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

3 Replies

Votes:

You cannot calculate jitter with the ping sensor, sorry.

But you can do this using a QoS sensor. But that one can only be created between two probes. Please read manual section VoIP and QoS Sensors

Created on Jun 20, 2010 7:32:31 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 21, 2010 6:37:37 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Custom Sensor Available

There is a custom sensor (PingJitter) available at the Google code project that returns the Statistical Jitter value by pinging a host several times.

Note: The sensor needs to be setup as "Value Type" Float

The readme that is included in the download provides more details.

Created on Jun 22, 2010 6:45:21 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

One note about jitter measurement from my side: If you use PINGs for Jitter measurement then you measure something completely different than what most people mean when they talk about "Jitter" for Quality of Service (which is mostly used to measure data line quality for VoIP or Video).

Please consider the following three aspects which explain the comparison between Gerard's solution for PING jitter measurement and PRTG's built in QoS sensor:

• PINGs use ICMP packets and many routers/switches give these a lower priority
  • When using PINGs and measure them at one point you actually measure the time a packets travels back and forth (PRTG's QoS sensor on the other side only sends the packets in one direction and measures travel time "one way")
  • VoIP and Video in most cases use UDP packets which routers/switches are likely to give a higher priority. That is the reason why PRTG's QoS sensor uses UDP to measure jitter etc.

I don't mean to critize Gerards solution in any way, we are always thankful for add-ons for PRTG created by the community. I just wanted to point out the differences between the two solutions.

For more information on PRTG's QoS Sensor please see: How PRTG's VoIP Features (QoS, and IP SLA Sensors) are Different or Unique

Created on Jun 23, 2010 12:38:28 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.