What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor hardware HP Proliant

Votes:

Is it possible to monitor the hardware of HP Proliant servers. We have some ESXi and Windows server running on that hardware. Can we monitor CPU Temperture, fan speed hard disk status, etc.

hardware hp vmwar

Created on Sep 24, 2010 4:17:41 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

HP ProLiant system health sensors

They are now included out of the box in PRTG (works for Windows drivers and most Linux drivers).

But we got this note from a customer:

I did install the HP Insight Management Agents on my Windows 2008 R2 servers along with HP System Management Homepage. After doing so, PRTG was able to configure sensors for just about everything except the Smart Array controller and it's drives. After consulting with HP, they had me to also install the Insight Management WBEM providers agent. Once installed, now PRTG can get SNMP data from the RAID controller.

I don't have the WBEM provider installed on any of my Windows 2003 servers, so, it appears this is a must for Windows 2008, or at least with 2008 R2.

You can download the installers for the required software here:

Created on Nov 23, 2012 7:29:09 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 22, 2013 1:51:17 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

37 Replies

Votes:

HP Proliant servers should be SNMP capable. Using the proper MIB file you should be able to monitor these values, if the necessary OIDs are provided in the MIBs. You can import the MIB files for us with PRTG using our MIB Importer.

Created on Sep 27, 2010 9:24:25 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

This would be a very nice new sensor: check overall Proliant Health. I've looked into using SNMP/WBEM to check hardware values but this requires creating a lot of sensors because there isn't a general health value available. (cooling, management, memory, power, processors, array, disks, nics, ...) HP also uses a lot of MIB files which makes it very time consuming and difficult to find all values. The only way of checking overall health is to look at the HP System Management page.

It would be cool if the pro's at Paessler could achieve this :)

Created on Apr 7, 2011 9:24:24 AM

Votes:

I am not able to import the HP mib files, as there is no sinlge *.mib file but:

---- cmaobjects.conf :
/opt/hp/hp-snmp-agents/mibs/cmafdtnobjects.conf
/opt/hp/hp-snmp-agents/mibs/cmasvrobjects.conf
/opt/hp/hp-snmp-agents/mibs/cmanicobjects.conf
/opt/hp/hp-snmp-agents/mibs/cmastorobjects.conf 

---cmaobjects.mibdef:
cpqHoMibRevMajor                                     1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.1.1             INTEGER        read-only  mandatory 
cpqHoMibRevMinor                                     1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.1.2             INTEGER        read-only  mandatory 
cpqHoMibCondition                                    1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.1.3             INTEGER        read-only  mandatory 
cpqHoOsCommonPollFreq                                1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.1.4.1         INTEGER        read-write mandatory  

--- cmaobjects.regmib :
cpqHoFileSysIndex                                    host/filesys             TABLE    1
cpqHoFileSysDesc                                     host/filesys             TABLE    1
cpqHoFileSysSpaceTotal                               host/filesys             TABLE    1
cpqHoFileSysSpaceUsed                                host/filesys             TABLE    1

--- cmaobjects.mibver:
 1: 1.23 
 2: 1.34
 3: 1.43
 5: 1.38
 6: 1.28
 8: 1.32
 9: 1.12
10: 1.4 
11: 1.31
14: 1.9
15: 1.3
16: 1.29
21: 1.0
22: 1.3
23: 1.1 

Is there any way to convert them ? Or where can I find those files which can be converted by the MIB Importer ?

Created on Apr 8, 2011 11:56:44 AM

Votes:

The MIB files should be available on the HP websites or the CDs that come with the hardware.

You can load mote than one MIB at a time into the MIB importer.

Created on Apr 11, 2011 7:54:01 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks,

I've found them on the HP management DVD in directory \toolkit\mibs\mibs.zip

Created on Apr 13, 2011 8:59:17 AM

Votes:

I think I can help you there. I have created a HP sensor template (for PRTG) with numerous sensors. The problem with SNMP HP sensors is that they are build rather complex. For instance if you have several smart array controllers (SCSI controllers) you have to read each of them individually. The same is for multiple volumes.

What I did is build a lot of individual sensors and have them auto-discovered and this seems to work fine. It will only auto-detect the sensors it needs. and they seem to be working. It immediately saw several systems as having problems. Particularly volumes with disks in pending failure state (on the smart array controler) and later on volumes in error and later rebuilding state, defective (but redundant) power supplies and broken network teaming configurations. So for me they check the HP hardware. I have not seen defective DIMM's however (yet)

This sensor template however does not seem to work for HP integrity systems. Which are different from proliant systems and ussually UNIX based. We have those with windows installed but there seems to be a little difference in reading them so they don't work.

MIB's from HP are part of the HP SIM product by the way (which is on the HP management DVD as you mentioned). HP SIM is the PRTG equivalent of HP intended for HP systems. And the mibs included are almost impossible to read or figure out.

Created on Apr 28, 2011 6:36:11 AM

Votes:

The template I am using:

[EDIT: Please see below for a download link]

Created on Apr 28, 2011 6:41:19 AM

Last change on Oct 19, 2011 4:04:26 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi Maarten Ruigrok,

unfortunately your template does not work. Either the PRTG Support Team couldn't help. Can you recheck your template please?

Would be great!

Thanks a lot

Created on Jun 6, 2011 9:46:31 PM

Votes:

It's probably best if Maarten could upload the template somewhere, that would ensure that nothing "get's lost".

Created on Jun 7, 2011 3:19:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

It's working fine here. If you have problems with copy/pasting the xml, you can find the template at http://www.filedropper.com/hpproliant Just place it in the devicetemplates folder of your PRTG installation. Now you should be able to see an 'HP Proliant' device template.

Thanks for your work Maarten!

Created on Jul 18, 2011 3:14:10 PM

Votes:

Dear All,

This is exactly what we're looking for! Having downloaded the file from filedropper and placed into devicetemplates, we are still unable to see a sensor template called HP Proliant. Have restarted the system to be sure. Is anything else required for this to function as expected?

Many thanks in advance!

Created on Jul 26, 2011 11:58:17 AM

Votes:

Just to check, you don't see the Device Template in PRTGs Auto-Discovery Options? Did you restart the PRTG System?

Created on Jul 26, 2011 2:26:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

we have the same problem. i copied the hpproliant.odt into the devicetemplates folder, rebooted the server but cann't see the template. can anyone help us finding a solution to monitor the proliant hardware? is there a manual describing this?

many thands in advance...

Created on Aug 22, 2011 4:05:11 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

which exact folder do you copy the template to?

should be

\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates

Created on Sep 6, 2011 12:46:44 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the ODT file it shows up and seems to work fine, however as with your XML paste above it looks like the ODT file link you posted has been truncated at the CPU fan, can you please post your FULL ODT file??

Thanks,

Created on Sep 7, 2011 10:27:00 PM

Votes:

Yes, can you please post the entire file. It is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thank you very much for creating it.

Created on Oct 19, 2011 8:08:51 PM

Votes:

Do you use this template with the ILO card ? or Which SNMP equipment do you use? Thks

Created on Nov 22, 2011 10:57:12 AM

Votes:

The link to http://www.filedropper.com/hpproliant doesn't exists anymore. Would you please upload the file again?

Same request as above, is there any template for HP C7000 chassis as well to monitor the server state? Many thanks.

Created on Dec 5, 2011 5:06:15 PM

Votes:

Ive downloaded this file, placed in correct folder. But when im doing a auto-discovery with this template, nothing shows up? Is the ML380 G7 included in the file?

Couldt the Paessler team have HP´s proliant servers included from the beginning?

Created on Dec 9, 2011 10:36:29 AM

Votes:

We are working on HP Proliant support. Please bear with us.

Created on Dec 9, 2011 2:22:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Lovley, are there some approximate time on it?

Created on Dec 9, 2011 2:30:16 PM

Votes:

Any timeline on when we can expect this support?

Created on Jan 13, 2012 12:57:45 AM

Votes:

Any progrss on that subject?

Created on Jan 23, 2012 11:51:29 AM

Votes:

No updates other than the reply from Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support] on December 9th that they are working on support for Proliants.

Created on Jan 23, 2012 4:25:56 PM

Votes:

But some information on the progress would be nice!

Created on Feb 28, 2012 3:42:01 PM

Votes:

For HP-Servers running ESX(i) (or actually all ESX(i)-Servers) there is now as of PRTG 12 a sensor based on SOAP which monitors the states of the following items:

• in the vcenter on the tab Hardware Status
  • on the individual ESX-Server on the tab Configuration -> Hardware -> Health Status

If one of these hardware state items goes into a 'yellow' state, the sensor in PRTG will also go into a yellow state, the same applies for at least one red condition on Vmware-side (and the according item is mentioned in the 'Last Message' of the sensor in PRTG).

best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2012 4:28:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 9, 2012 4:07:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

While this qill be great for most hardware componants on servers running ESXi only, it does not however show the status of a failed hard drive.

Don't get me wrong, this will be a great addition, but if PRTG could read from the HP Insight drivers that are installed (or should be) on HP servers, this would allow for more information to be gathered. Like Hard Drive status, which is what I would like more than anything to have reported.

Created on Feb 29, 2012 5:00:17 PM

Votes:

I want to get rid off HP Insight. So really waiting on hardware sensors for HP hardware. It take already so long.. So hope it can move on quickly..

Created on Apr 23, 2012 1:04:51 PM

Votes:

I stongly second this... "ready for use" support for HP ProLiant hadware monitoring will be greatly appreciated

Created on Apr 25, 2012 4:15:39 PM

Votes:

We would also be very pleased with specific HP ProLiant sensors. Especially harddisk-status.

In meantime, Maarten Ruigrok, could you please be so kind to upload your custom sensors again? Would certainly be appreciated.

Created on May 18, 2012 1:09:23 PM

Votes:

For those strictly wanting to monitor the "Logical Drive Status", the cpqida.mib located in a compressed folder on the HP website (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-c86e6f6e65504f15b996953558) should be used.

-Install and run the latest Paessler MIB Importer (V2.1.1 used in my scenario)

-"IMPORT" the cpqida.mib

-"DELETE" all OIDs EXCEPT the folloowing

+cpq da log drv: #[1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.3.1.1.1]

-cpq da log drv status: #[1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.3.1.1.2]

-"SAVE" the file and copy the newly created .OIDLIB file into the C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\snmplibs\ folder

Now all you have to do is make sure SNMP is set up properly and secure (if required) on the server you are wanting to monitor.

Add a sensor-

-Click on the server/device

-Add Sensor

-SNMP Library

-Choose your OIDB file you created.

If you configured the server properly with SNMP community strings and security (SNMP service on Windows OS), your connection to the server should be established fairly quickly. The description in the MIB describes the different status codes - a "2" is normal, then you have other different integers. Add a Change Trigger Notification to notify you when the 2 changes to a different number and then you are done. When you get an error that the state changed, you know you need to run the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) and see exactly what happened.

Created on Aug 7, 2012 11:56:00 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

HP ProLiant system health sensors

They are now included out of the box in PRTG (works for Windows drivers and most Linux drivers).

But we got this note from a customer:

I did install the HP Insight Management Agents on my Windows 2008 R2 servers along with HP System Management Homepage. After doing so, PRTG was able to configure sensors for just about everything except the Smart Array controller and it's drives. After consulting with HP, they had me to also install the Insight Management WBEM providers agent. Once installed, now PRTG can get SNMP data from the RAID controller.

I don't have the WBEM provider installed on any of my Windows 2003 servers, so, it appears this is a must for Windows 2008, or at least with 2008 R2.

You can download the installers for the required software here:

Created on Nov 23, 2012 7:29:09 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 22, 2013 1:51:17 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Has anyone tested the Monitor HP Proliant via SNMP with windows server 2012? Please, tell me where to download working HP Insight Management Agents for windows server 2012? In this page http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42913&prodNameId=27521&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-8b6235702ddb4625a043ad7712 it is written that this Monitor is supported by Microsoft Windows Server 2012, but I could not install, tested on two systems. I realize that this is mostly a question for HP, but can though maybe you can help?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 10:32:03 AM

Votes:

I've got the ProLiant sensors working on our Windows Server 2012 boxes, but I think we have an advantage in that they're ProLiant G8 servers. HP have moved to 'Agentless Management' in G8, so you can set up the iLO card in PRTG as a device in its own right and then add sensors for all the hardware to that - it works very well.

However, we have a Windows Server 2008 R2 server which is a G6 ProLiant and I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect to it to retrieve physical disk information. It's got the Insight Management Agent and WBEM Provider installed, and the System Management Homepage can read all of the hardware information I want, but I don't know how to get PRTG to read the same information.

I've tried creating ProLiant sensors on the server device, but they won't connect, and I've tried creating the iLO card as a separate device, as with the G8 servers, but that doesn't work either.

Can anybody talk me through exactly how to connect PRTG to the ProLiant hardware information as displayed on the System Management Homepage?

Created on Sep 13, 2013 11:14:28 AM

Votes:

I don't think it is possible to get HP physical disk information via SNMP on a Proliant G5 (with P400 controller) - certainly if you are running 2012 R2 on it. You just have to rely on the Proliant System Health sensor which does report a 'Disk Controller Status'. However, HP Homepage using WBEM will report physical disk status - its just that the PRTG SNMP sensor can't see this information - and there is no PRTG WBEM sensor for Windows!

However it is possible to get physical disk status via SNMP on a Proliant G6 (at least with P410i controller) - so long as you have the right mix of HP agents and drivers!

Created on Oct 6, 2017 11:43:37 AM

Votes:

PS I was wrong about getting physical disk information on an HP Proliant G5. It is possible in PRTG - but only if you use the correct HP P400 controller driver. HP don't provide one for 2012 R2 but you can manually install the 2008 one via Device Manager after extracting the SP files to a folder. In Storage Controllers the driver should be called Smart Array P400 Controller' (NOT the one with a Media name) Driver details = HP 28/10/2013 ver 6.28.0.64 Then the Phy disk sensor will work

Created on Oct 6, 2017 2:44:05 PM

Votes:

I installed HPE Insight Management Agents and HPE Insight Management Web-based Enterprise Management (WBEM) Provider. After that, I can add "SNMP HPE ProLiant System Health" sensor. However, with SNMP HPE ProLiant Physical Disk" and "SNMP HPE ProLiant Logical Disk" Sensors, I cannot add. It shows error : The sensor could not find any disks on the monitored device. The reason might be a Windows security feature that prevents automatic integration of the Windows SNMP agent with the components from IBM. To resolve this issue, see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/73914. (code: PE188). I am sure port 161 is open, and I can check uptime via SNMP Tester tool. How can I add 2 above sensors to monitor disk of HP Proliant Server ?

Created on Jun 26, 2021 6:53:56 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.