What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using PRTG Network Monitor 8 and Traffic Grapher 6

Votes:

I'm very happily using Traffic Grapher 6.2.2... I downloaded and have tried using PRTG NM8 with quite a bit of frustration. I have read the words about "importing" but the hooks just don't seem to be there - it's sure not evident. I really don't understand the relationship between the two and would rather just sitck with TG 6.2.2 ... BUT .. I feel I should try out the newer software. The newer software seems to continually pop up web pages when I'm really trying to use the Windows GUI - so what's with that??!!

import prtg-8 traffic-grapher-6

Created on Oct 9, 2010 8:27:00 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear John,

as Aurelio already said, you can continue using the Traffic Grapher, but it will most likely not receive any further development (so no support of newer Windows versions etc..). Please try the Network Monitor, even though it is a different thing to handle, it makes up for that with many many features PRTG 6 does not have (just simply Netflow 9 for example).

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 12, 2010 4:35:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

PRTG 8 is configured and controlled mainly through the web interface.

You can of course continue using PRTG6 as long as you want to, but no further development was done on PRTG6 since 3 years and we will probably stop support by the end of the year.

Created on Oct 10, 2010 4:22:13 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, OK. I'll have to reserve judgment on "8" until I've been able to use it. Brief effort convinces me that I don't even know how to set it up with our SNMP system. So, importing the settings / configuration from "6" seems the way to go - thus my original post. How does one import all those settings from "6"?

Created on Oct 10, 2010 4:34:49 PM

Votes:

You will find information on how to upgrade to version 8 under How can I upgrade from previous PRTG versions to PRTG V8?.

Created on Oct 11, 2010 12:51:30 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

John,

I am in the same boat as you, I am just using Traffic Grapher 6. I am finding Network Monitor a whole new product that is nothing like TG and it's really frustrating. I think we are going to stick with TG.

Created on Oct 12, 2010 12:05:14 PM

Last change on Oct 12, 2010 4:32:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear John,

as Aurelio already said, you can continue using the Traffic Grapher, but it will most likely not receive any further development (so no support of newer Windows versions etc..). Please try the Network Monitor, even though it is a different thing to handle, it makes up for that with many many features PRTG 6 does not have (just simply Netflow 9 for example).

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 12, 2010 4:35:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.