What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Geo Map - Can I show a name when entering latitude and longitude only?

Votes:

Hello, we have configure the geo map tag with latitude and longitude, and want to show a name when the PRTG show the Geo Map. How can this be done?

For example, we add the location (49.45804,11.07134) and want to show the name "Paessler HQ" in the map. Can this be done?

Regards.

geo-map latitude longitude name

Created on Oct 12, 2010 11:52:16 AM

Last change on Oct 15, 2010 8:19:40 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In Q2 we will release a version of PRTG that has a rewrite of the maps code that will also solve your problem along many other things.

Until then you can add the following code section to the files

• \includes\htmlfooter_customer.htm and
  • \controls\geomap.htm and replace the strings with yours:
<script>
$("a:contains('49.45804,11.07134')").text("Paessler Base Camp");
$("a:contains('Bucher Strasse 79a Nuernberg')").text("Paessler Base Camp");
</script>

This code simply replaces your address and/or GeoIDs with your own labels.

Note: When updating to a newer version your changes to geomap.htm will be lost and must be reapplied.

Created on Mar 27, 2012 7:19:38 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Mar 28, 2012 8:14:03 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

10 Replies

Votes:

Dear Adrian,

I'm afraid that's not possible. The legend only shows the entries of the Location field.

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 14, 2010 3:10:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 15, 2010 8:10:47 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Looking forward, for this feature as well as Google does not resolve all addresses properly, also there is a bug that if the name contains a special character like "Ł" (polish L with a dash) it will not resolve it at all.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 3:06:36 PM

Votes:

is that why my Geo Map shows some location out side my country. How can I set it to show correct place? Where does it take cordinates of map from?

Created on Aug 20, 2011 3:54:37 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid we don't have any control over this, and can just display what's entered in the Location-field.

Created on Aug 22, 2011 12:56:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Maybe you won't be able to change what's inside Geo Map, but at least we should be able to create friendly names outside of Geo Map. We have a really large plant, and entering address doesn't work for us. We have to use ll to mark each spot, but a ll label under Geo Map doesn't make sense at all.

I wish I can show you a screenshot, but I can't upload files here. I'm talking about the div box under geo map, (<div class=chart legend>). Paessler should be able to let us specify our own legend name instead of displaying ll only in this box. I can even use javascript to make it, but I don't think I should do it.

Created on Mar 27, 2012 4:16:25 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In Q2 we will release a version of PRTG that has a rewrite of the maps code that will also solve your problem along many other things.

Until then you can add the following code section to the files

• \includes\htmlfooter_customer.htm and
  • \controls\geomap.htm and replace the strings with yours:
<script>
$("a:contains('49.45804,11.07134')").text("Paessler Base Camp");
$("a:contains('Bucher Strasse 79a Nuernberg')").text("Paessler Base Camp");
</script>

This code simply replaces your address and/or GeoIDs with your own labels.

Note: When updating to a newer version your changes to geomap.htm will be lost and must be reapplied.

Created on Mar 27, 2012 7:19:38 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Mar 28, 2012 8:14:03 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Since it's Q4 2012 now, I want to make sure that customizing legend feature is available in the system GUI. We have too many locations to label, I don't think it's a good idea to do this with jQuery.

Thanks,

Created on Nov 26, 2012 5:52:09 PM

Votes:

Dear Justin,

we know it is hard for our customers to wait for features they would like to have. Thank you very much for your patience!

We put the feature request to enter alternative display names for geo locations on the wishlist for PRTG and it is planned to be implemented in 2013. However, I'm afraid I cannot give any detailed estimated time of arrival.

Your feedback is very valuable to us! For details, please see: How does Paessler Handle User Feedback and Feature Requests?

Created on Nov 29, 2012 4:28:35 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Little things like this is the main reason we may have to dump PRTG. You can't make simple maps to impress your boss. We have to have sheets of paper or excel docs so my boss can look up the GPS when he opens the nice maps PRTG creates.

PRTG also releases a lot of stuff about pan and zoom but when I bought the product it turned out to be bait and switch.

So PRTG has the features but another vendor ads the few hours of coding to make it look presentable which is the main reason for buying something like this. If I wanted excel docs and have to make 50 maps for every 1 because its static I would just save the money and do that. For those added features I have to upgrade to another vendor's product.

Sad too, they have to be easy fixes as I have found free products, even open source that do these things no problem.

Created on Feb 8, 2013 9:43:34 PM

Last change on Feb 14, 2013 11:17:35 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Dear Cuda, we all agree that this feature is overdue and I also would want it today and not tomorrow. But I can assure you that we are very busy here all the time and we have just not reached this position on the wishlist yet: too many - in our perception - more important issues are in the way.

Created on Feb 11, 2013 3:38:31 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.