This applies to PRTG Network Monitor 7.1-7.3
Note: The information given below is not officially covered by Paessler's support offerings. You can use it at your own risk. Our support team will not be able to dig into questions regarding this technique.
Step 1: Create a new mapobject file
- Go to the following folder of your PRTG installation and duplicate a file (e.g. "An Icon A1.htm")
\PRTG Network Monitor\website\mapobjects
- Rename the file to a new name starting with a "z" to move it to the end of alphabetically sorted list, (e.g. zz_MyHTML.htm)
Step 2: Edit the mapobject file
- Open the file in a text editor
- Change the first line of the file, it contains the name which will be shown in the web interface (format is "group:name")
- Delete the HTML code between the <span> and </span> and paste your own HTML and/or JS code
- Save the file
This means that
- you can not use function declarations
- you may not use "setTimer" and "setInterval" functions as usual, they would run multiple times. The code below shows a "dirty" trick to work around this issue.
- you may not use document.write, please use DOM manipulation instead, using jQuery is recommended
Also you should not use ActiveX controls or the <object> tag and other performance heavy HTML techniques, they could create problems on maps that are reloaded every 60 seconds for hours.
Step 3: Use the new mapobject in a map
Now go to PRTG's Map Editor and add the new object (don't forget to select one icon from the sensor tree, even though it is not necessary for this object)
Sample Map Object for an AXIS 207 Network Camera with automatic 2 second webcam image refresh