What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cluster Failover Node only shows the Cluster Probe Health, no other devices

Votes:

I've setup clustering ok and it all shows fine (the health on both sides is 100%) but the failover node only shows the cluster probe health devices, I thought it would show pretty much all the other devices (although we have two remote probes so I know it won't work with those as the probes are tied to the master node but will it at least show the devices?)

The main site has a local node so I would expect all the devices in the local node for the master to show in the failover node - correct?

Is there better documentation on how the clustering works (pref with screenshots) rather than just the 'how to configure' stuff which stops after the master and cluster nodes start talking successfully?

thanks Barry

cluster monitoring prtg

Created on Oct 12, 2010 10:37:58 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We understand well the unpleasant situation for those of you who use Remote Probes heavily and still need a fail-safe cluster setup.

Currently, there is only one solution for a fail-safe monitoring in different locations: At each location, install two PRTG core servers and configure them to run as a two-node fail-safe cluster. Using the Enterprise Console, you can still connect to all of your individual installations and see all data in one console.

However, we know that the need for remote probes that are connected to several cluster nodes is increasing. So, we're definitely looking into a solution for this. But as always, I cannot give any dates yet. We're still in research for this.

Created on Aug 20, 2014 2:40:01 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

9 Replies

Votes:

Dear Barry,

if you are looking on the web-interface of your Master Node you will see some "Probes", one of course being the Local Probe, the other Remote Probes and one called Cluster Probe. This Cluster Probe is the important one, because only groups, devices and sensors that are under this probe, are shared within your PRTG Cluster and therefore monitored by all Cluster Nodes.
So, please move all the groups/devices you want to have monitored by all PRTG Cluster Nodes to the Cluster Probe (in the webinterface simply right-click on the object, and select "Move..." from the context menu. Please be aware that there is a limitation, that Remote Probes can only connect to the Master Node, and are not clustered. So all objects monitored by a Remote Probe are not "shared" in the PRTG Cluster and its nodes.

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 13, 2010 2:15:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 13, 2010 2:15:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have 2 clustered servers, with multiple remote probes connected to the Master server. So what you are saying, in this scenario, the failover server is doing me no good? I have a large WAN, and I do not want all the devices reporting back to the Master Server directly, that was our reason for installing the remote probes. Is this the recommended installation, or should I remove the remote probes? I currently have 18 Remote Probes, with around 1000 devices and growing. The Master and Failover server are VM's on an ESX Host.

Created on Mar 4, 2011 10:42:02 PM

Votes:

the ability of the remote probes to either connect to all nodes of a cluster or switch to another node should the master fail might be available in a future version. For now, remote probes can only connect to the master node, sorry.

Created on Mar 6, 2011 5:31:40 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Will there be an announcement that that feature is there? How will I know?

Created on Mar 24, 2011 4:26:43 PM

Votes:

This will most certainly be announced, once available. Please notice, however, this will not be in the near future.

Created on Mar 25, 2011 3:20:59 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I'd like to pick up on this topic as today I'm finding myself surprised in the same bad situation after setting up our cluster as the previous authors. I was under the impression that PRTG comes with a full-blown clustering feature. Apparently that doesn't seem to be the case. To my mind that is a crucial feature for enterprise-scale installations. Meanwhile almost 2 two years have passed since the last post. Did I miss any anouncements or is this feature still missing? When will it be available?

Created on Jan 22, 2013 12:50:03 PM

Votes:

@maengling: The question is not so much "do we want this feature or not?". We do of course consider this feature. But this is a not a decision that we can make in an "evacuated box".

We have to consider our efforts, the potential of bringing bugs and instability into the product (by adding a very very complex feature) and - most important - adding a complexity level to the usage of the software while our goal is to create an easy to use software.

We have to weigh our efforts against the needs of our customers, measured in part by the number of people actually USING the clustering feature. And by considering alternative solutions that may already cover most of the needs.

In this case running a 5-way cluster in 5 locations gives you the same (even more) functionality than running a 2-way-clustered core server plus 4 probes in other locations.

This actually minimizes the need for a fully clustered-multi-probe system so much again, that we will not create it soon, simply because there are so many other interesting features that many or most user will profit from, so that we will throw our resources at those features.

This means that our product may not be the perfect solution for any scenario. Yet.

BTW: This blog article explains how we rate feature requests:

https://www.paessler.com/blog/2012/07/03/other/how-we-rate-your-feature-requests-company-culture-2

Created on Jan 22, 2013 2:15:47 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

I am in this situation also now... I have 10 probes and over 18,000 monitors I setup the clustering in hopes of creating redundancy but find myself confused as to why I cannot simply set a failover IP in my remote probes with a timeout setting for when to "failover."

If you can explain to me how I can have redundancy in a PCI compliant environment with aggressive firewall rules I would appreciate it.

Created on Aug 20, 2014 12:25:13 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We understand well the unpleasant situation for those of you who use Remote Probes heavily and still need a fail-safe cluster setup.

Currently, there is only one solution for a fail-safe monitoring in different locations: At each location, install two PRTG core servers and configure them to run as a two-node fail-safe cluster. Using the Enterprise Console, you can still connect to all of your individual installations and see all data in one console.

However, we know that the need for remote probes that are connected to several cluster nodes is increasing. So, we're definitely looking into a solution for this. But as always, I cannot give any dates yet. We're still in research for this.

Created on Aug 20, 2014 2:40:01 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.