What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I create sensors running on a failover node only?

Votes:

I have just upgraded to PRTG 8 and have implemented a failover cluster. My primary node is located at my office, and my failover node is located at our datacenter. The two are connected via a VPN tunnel. I have WMI sensors setup which are blocked from the office, but work from the datacenter so they are perpetually in the "partial down" state. Is there any way I can tell these sensors to only check from the node at the datacenter? It's not an option for me to open my firewall up to allow the sensors to work from both locations.

Thanks,

Brett

cluster failover wmi

Created on Oct 14, 2010 10:01:07 PM

Last change on Oct 15, 2010 8:56:48 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

No, sorry. The basic idea of our cluster feature is to monitor all sensors from all locations.

I would suggest to move the primary node to the data center and configure those WMI sensors there on the local probe.

Created on Oct 15, 2010 8:39:38 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Unfortunately that would leave me with the same problem but in the other direction, as there are a few local probes that won't work from the datacenter.

May I suggest for a future release the option to either have some probes reporting only from a remote location, or the ability to install the remote probe service on the failover node alongside the regular installation.

Not a dealbreaker for us here, but a minor annoyance.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Created on Oct 15, 2010 9:11:22 PM

Votes:

Your vote was heard and recorded. Unfortunately all other possible concepts tend to make the whole setup dramatically more complex.

That's why we decided not to implement them in our first cluster-able version. We will continue to listen to our customers' needs and then improve PRTG in the direction that is most helpful for most users.

Created on Oct 18, 2010 1:20:49 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.