What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP error # -2003 after going over this entire knowledge base

Votes:

Hello,

Trying to get snmp sensor on a file server. Server is windows 2008 with snmp service activated and running. configured the community, firewall is off, both prtg server and file server on the same network without a firewall in between and all I get is error 2003.

tried the snmp tester - the same. no response at all.

tried restarting, opening ports, disabling fw on both computers, and still nothing. Went over 20 pages in this wonderful forum and tried all the possible solutions offered and still nothing.

ran wireshark on both computers, i can see a 'get' packet on the file server, but it just doesnt reply.

Does anyone have any idea if i am missing any settings on the prtg monitor or the windows server 2008?

any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

server-2008 snmp snmp-error#2003

Created on Oct 22, 2010 12:50:53 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

in the Servers SNMP Service security settings you do allow SNMP requests from the PRTG PC2

Did you already try the Tester directly on the server and request data from the server? (Local and Device IP is the same)

Created on Oct 25, 2010 9:23:43 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

although the server was marked to accept SNMP request from 'any' host, I put the server address manually and it now works.

Thanks.

Created on Oct 27, 2010 5:01:42 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.