What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port Monitoring - Dell Switch

Votes:

Hey all - We have a new client that called in and is complaining of slow network speeds and bad VoIP voice quality from one of their branch locations that is connected via MPLS. The provider can tell us that the line is being maxed but no other information. The model of the Dell switch is a 3548P.

We're hoping to setup PRTG Traffic monitoring to determine which port / IP is taking all the bandwidth. However; we're strictly a Cisco shop and have NO prior experience to Dell switches.

I've done some research online trying to figure out how to configure something similar to SPAN or port monitoring on Dell switches (3548P) but having little luck. I'm not sure if I'm just using the wrong keyboards or if it actually doesn't exist.

Anyone have similar experience to this? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

3548p dell-switch port-monitoring

Created on Oct 26, 2010 9:16:39 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Monitor the traffic on the INTERNET connection itself by monitoring the interfaces on the router used for the connection of the branch office to verify high bandwidth usage.

Use packet sniffing to find IPs causing a lot of traffic.

read

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/2923-how-do-i-discern-excessive-bandwidth-usage-with-prtg

Created on Oct 27, 2010 4:48:56 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The Router is owned by the ISP and we have no say in the config for the device. Aren't the packet sniffing devices typically configured via the switch?

Created on Oct 27, 2010 4:52:46 AM

Votes:

monitor the port on the switch the router is connected to for overall traffic with a SNMP Traffic sensor to see in ant outgoing traffic.

Mirror that port on the switch to any other port on the switch and then use the mirror port for packet sniffing and traffic analysis.

Created on Oct 27, 2010 5:12:00 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Aurelio, that was the impression I was getting on how this should be setup. Sorry if I wasn't direct or clear enough with my question (perhaps even the wrong place to ask) but I'm unsure how to mirror that port on a Dell 3548P switch. I've tried searching Dell's website but had no luck, not sure if I'm using the wrong search terms or what. I know with Cisco I've always searched for SPAN and that pulls up all the info / docs that I need.

Created on Oct 27, 2010 1:38:17 PM

Votes:

on our Dell 5424th in the web interface there is a menu object "Ports" when we I open that I have an object "Port Mirroring"

that is what you have to look for

Created on Oct 29, 2010 12:24:34 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.