What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I configure an Iboot Heartbeat to work with UDP?

Votes:

I am currently experimenting with the free version of PRTG and am really liking what I see so far. If I could configure an I boot heartbeat to work on this program that would be one less piece of software that I would need. It uses a UDP protocol, I'll see if I can find the settings for configuring it.

heartbeat iboot udp

Created on Oct 29, 2010 10:36:45 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

What do you mean with "Iboot Heartbeat"? Do you mean this: http://dataprobe.com/iboot-remote-reboot.php

Quote: /iBoot® is a 10/100 Ethernet network attached, IP addressed, Web Controlled power switch. Anyone with a web browser can access iBoot® to perform power On, Off or Reboot [...] The new Heartbeat Detect feature allows iBoot® to monitor any server or PC running either the free Heartbeat Generator Program, or heartbeats integrated into your custom software. Dataprobe can provide developer support to make integration easy. Find out all about Heartbeat Detector and the Protocol./

You would need a command line EXE that sends the heart beats to the iBoot device. This EXE is used for a custom EXE sensor of PRTG which runs an EXE at a specified interval. The iBoot website only offers a program that resides in the Windows tray (i.e. uses GUI functionality) and that can not be used.

PRTG does not include a ready made sensor for this .

More about custom EXE Sensors: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg8/exe_script_sensor.htm

Created on Nov 1, 2010 9:50:55 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Yes, that is what we use. Dataprobe walked me through a program called servers alive that allowed me to run more than one Heartbeat on a computer. Here are the directions for that program. Notice the Packet to send and Packet to receive

Edit: Protocols
UDP: create new udp protocol
Protocol Name: iBoot HB
Default port: 9100
Receiving port: same port (server port)
Packet to send on connection
\x69\x42\x6f\x6f\x74\x48\x42
Packet to receive as a sesponse(mark contains)
\x69\x42\x6f\x6f\x74\x41\x43\x4b

Then add an entry from the main screen

Server Name: ipaddress of iBoot
Pretty Name: iBoot one
Check Tab: check to use UDP Protocol

(Radio button pull down) iBoot HB on port default 9100

(The IP and Port will have to be different for each iBoot.)

Created on Nov 2, 2010 9:39:06 PM

Last change on Nov 3, 2010 3:41:37 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.