What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I calculate the average downtime of all my Ping sensors?

Votes:

What I am trying to do is take the average of the uptime/downtime of all my ping sensors. e.g. Let's say there are three ping sensors and in a given week sensor 1 is up 100%, 2 is 98%, 3 is 99%. The average would be 99%. Is there a way to do this? I was experimenting with trying to show this using a Sensor Factory Sensor but then I noticed at the bottom of the page that describes sensor factory sensors it says this: "There is no uptime/downtime totals calculation for Factory Sensors." I also read on that page this: "The downtime channel of Sensor Factory sensors is defined as the average of the downtime of all used channels." I thought that might work so I created a sensor factory sensor with this syntax:

#1:Water Collection
channel(2455,0)
#2:Fortinet
channel(2012,0)
#3:Energy Server
channel(2006,0)

This is looking at the ping times of three of my ping sensors. I then put one of the sensors in an "error" state to see if it would show any downtime for the sensor factory sensor itself... it did not. So am I doing this wrong or is it just not possible?

average downtime prtg

Created on Nov 3, 2010 9:18:52 PM

Last change on Nov 4, 2010 1:52:02 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear John,

I'm afraid it is simply not possible to calculate the average downtime of x number of sensors in PRTG.

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 4, 2010 1:41:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry for posting on such an old topic.

I'm new to PRTG and was wondering if this is still not possible?

After reading the PRTG 9 Manual's description of Sensor Factory Sensor's (Show single channels of one or more sensors in one graph. Use the data from single channels of one or more sensors to calculate new values (for example, you can subtract, multiply, and divide). Create graphs with data from other sensor channels and add horizontal lines at specific vertical positions).

It sounds possible??

Thanks

Created on Jan 17, 2012 5:36:59 PM

Votes:

Sorry, this is not possible still.

Created on Jan 18, 2012 1:54:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It has passed 11 years from the last interaction and 13 years since the first post. My question is the same: Can we calculate Average downtime for a group of sensors? If not, after all this time, this is very frustrating as this is a basic requirement for any executive report.

Created on Jul 19, 2023 7:26:51 PM

Votes:

Hello Andre,

Calculating the average downtime for a group of sensors is not possible in current PRTG versions.

Thanks

Created on Jul 24, 2023 3:26:47 PM by  Mitzi Rodriguez [Paessler support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.