What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does Webserver Stress Tool show errors when I run it against my server?

Votes:

When I access the website with my browser I don't see errors.

error server webserver-stress-tool

Created on Feb 24, 2010 8:38:08 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 24, 2010 9:25:35 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Errors Shown by Webserver Stress Tool

In most cases when people write us about errors when using Webserver Stress Tool, they have discovered exactly what Webserver Stress Tool is designed to discover: Problems with scripts or webservers that crash or fail when multiple users access it simultaneously.

You can be quite sure that you have a server problem if you get errors other than "timeout" and "404". For example the error code 500 (internal server error) is never generated by Webserver Stress Tool but by the webserver.

Here are some tips:

• Run the test with just one user, increase the number of users step by step. If that works with one or a few users without errors it is almost certain that your website has a problem with simultaneous users
  • Escalate this approach using a ramp test
  • Enable Write Detailed and User Logs and Write Headers to Log and review the user logfiles for hints about the problem
  • Enable Save All HTML files and review the resulting webpages
  • Review the webserver's or the application's error log file

Created on Feb 24, 2010 8:38:56 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.