What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does a batch file executing a tnsping to an oracle databse fail under prtg version when it worke

Votes:

Since upgrading to PRTG version 8 I have a sensor that is a bat file that does a tnsping to an oralce database that now fails with the following message

Response not wellformed: " C:\Windows\system32>tnsping raceall.ult-db4 TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 11-NOV-2010 07:34:50 Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved. Used parameter files: c:\oracle\ora10\network\admin\sqlnet.ora Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.16.1.21)(PORT = 1721))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SID = raceall))) OK (20 msec) "

The bat file worked fine on the previous version. As can be seen the tnsping actually completes OK. I have made no changes and I am at loss as to why this sensor test now fails.

batch-file customer-sensor oracle

Created on Nov 10, 2010 8:40:54 PM

Last change on Nov 11, 2010 12:02:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear John,

the reason is that PRTG 8 is more strict (and in fact more correct) with the Responses of Exe/Script Sensors. No line breaks or any “:” are allowed. The response has to have the format of Value: Message. The message should not be more than a few words.

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 11, 2010 12:05:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 11, 2010 12:23:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK so how can I measure the response time from a tnsping?

Created on Nov 11, 2010 9:33:46 PM

Votes:

Not strictly an answer - but a suggestion. I monitor our Oracle db by running a query against it using "SELECT 1 FROM DUAL". As the query has to be routed over TNS it serves the double purpose of testing that the database is accessible and that it is running without any dependency on a particular schema. It's been a reliable test for us for some time and perhaps simpler than using TNSPING in a batch.

HTH

Created on Nov 12, 2010 11:38:31 AM

Votes:

@john, you would have to try parsing the output in your script (most likely a VBscript would then be the better tool), so that all the "unnecessary" stuff is suppressed

Created on Nov 12, 2010 1:00:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.